Best Tasting Loquat Variety?

greenleaf_organic(8, TX)March 30, 2013

I have heard conflicting reports on what is the best tasting Loquat. Since this is subjective let me say that I prefer some tartness too, not just sweet flavor. (Where does Big Jim fit into this picture?) Does anyone have a favorite?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gnappi

Individual taste is such a great reason for us sharing thoughts like "taste". For me I generally like a sweeter fruit with minimal tartness, but then again I love Carambola which have some tartness too.

Anyway, I have a "Christmas" Loquat, I have only tasted a few cultivars and I like this one the best.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 7:25AM
gnappi

Individual taste is such a great reason for us sharing thoughts like "taste". For me I generally like a sweeter fruit with minimal tartness, but then again I love Carambola which have some tartness too.

Anyway, I have a "Christmas" Loquat, I have only tasted a few cultivars and I like this one the best.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 7:30AM
greenleaf_organic(8, TX)

Interesting gnappi, is it more orange flesh or yellow? Also, is it mostly sweet or also some tangy flavor? I hear the fruit is quite large on Christmas. Thinking about buying one. I have also read that the Wolfe is excellent, but cannot find one to buy.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:11PM
gotsomerice(Sunset 23)

I got 'Golden Nugget' and 'Champagne'. Champagne has much better taste.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 8:30PM
gnappi

"Interesting gnappi, is it more orange flesh or yellow? Also, is it mostly sweet or also some tangy flavor? I hear the fruit is quite large on Christmas. Thinking about buying one. I have also read that the Wolfe is excellent, but cannot find one to buy."

It's dark yellow and mostly sweet. I let them ripen on the tree.The fruits on mine have been rather small, but the tree is still in a container so that's probably no indication how much larger they'll be when the tree is planted out.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 10:44PM
gonebananas_gw

Does anyone know a good mail-order source for grafted (or air-layered) loquat selections?

I already have "Big Jim" and "Christmas."

I'd prefer not having them too large at first (not 5 gallon pots, for instance).

I'd especially like to get "McBeth."

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 4:40PM
rockmaker(z9 AZ)

In my experience in the Phoenix area the Big Jim is a little bland. Hard to beat the Gold Nugget for sweetness but to me the Champagne is the best. Have only sampled Strawberry and McBeth but they didn't seem to be as tasty as the Champagne.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:29PM
greenleaf_organic(8, TX)

O.K. so I have a Big Jim and not that impressed. I planted some seeds in a pot from a pretty good tasting local tree so that is a waiting game.. Based on all the feedback I also just ordered a champagne for delivery. I am really looking forward to the day when I get to taste from that tree! By the way the champagne is going into our new place. Do I need a pollinator tree and if so which one? (I have heard conflicting information on that for the champagne)
Thanks

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 12:55AM
greenleaf_organic(8, TX)

Hey gone bananas, I found Clifton Nursery with Macbeth loquats, but they are the 5 gallon size.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Avocados for zone 3?
Please see below for my question.
loneroc1
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
Avocado Emergency-indoor gardener
Avacado with established roots and shoot, knocked over...
thumbsvert
Edible Banana for Zone 9
Question- What edible banana (Musa) will work best...
Man-Go-Bananas
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Sponsored Products
DW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 240/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Connetix Small Pendant by SONNEMAN Lighting
$1,130.00 | Lumens
Woolrich Loramar Honey Rectangular: 5 Ft. 6 In. x 8 Ft. 3 In. Rug
$560.00 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Area Rug: Watercolor Gold 9' 6" x 13' 6"
Home Depot
Large Bird Girl Statue
$399.00 | FRONTGATE