Angel Trumpet leaves turn yellow and fall off

restlessJuly 28, 2007

Hi;

I have an Angel Trumpet in a pot. I have been growing this for 2 years and it is 9 feet tall with beautiful blossoms. I have alway's watered it morning and night with 1/2 teaspoon Miracle-Gro per 2 gal. water. The leaves have started to turn yellow and are falling off. Tried 1 teaspoon Epson salt per gal. water a few day's ago. Did this once, no change. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks;

Restless

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Check for spider mites.

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 12:44PM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

That's what angel trumpet leaves do, fall off...lol...if they're not falling off then the thing must have died. It might be rootbound, the light might have changed, it might have been too dry, the temps can cause it, drafts when the plant is inside, spider mites, whiteflies.
If it's not buggy, change it into a new pot and fertilize it after about two weeks.

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 5:04PM
karyn1(7a)

It's common for the older foliage to drop. Are you feeding it with every watering? I feed my brugs once or twice a week during the growing season but not daily. I also use epsom salts once a month. My large brugs are in 25 gallon containers. Is your brug droopy when you water it? If not you might be giving it too much water which can cause the foliage to yellow.
Karyn

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 11:04PM
restless

Hi;
I would like to thank everyone for your help. I don't know how I over looked mites. That seems to be what it was after buyorse11888 mentioned it, I took a better look. I sprayed the plant 24 hours ago and it already looks better.
Restless

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 2:57PM
rosepedal(Four seasons zone4/5)

What do we spray the anger trumpets with for spidermites Barb

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 9:46AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Hi Barb, you can use NEEM for the common red spidermites or two spotted spidermites. That is the one that is most commonly seen and NEEM will work pretty good on those. There are more rarely a broad mite which is more resistant to most pesticides that is better sprayed with Avid or other specific miticides.

Are you new to growing angel trumpets?
You can visit the brugmansia forum here on GW for more specific info on brugmansia and datura. I have over a hundred varieties now and they never cease to amaze me.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 12:43PM
rosepedal(Four seasons zone4/5)

Thanks for the information. I am a newbie. 100 species that is awesome. I have a baby datura cream and sugar that is my prized plant for the year.

I have two species of angels growing that I started from cuttings this winter. My neighbor lady said to use murphys oil soap and water.... Barb

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 1:43PM
mochibean_gmail_com

Alcohol n water. Kills on contact

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 10:39AM
scarlett2001

What is the proportion of either the alcohol to water or oil soap to water?

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 7:27PM
maxierebecca_yahoo_com

I would also like to know what part alcohol to water and Murphy oil soap to water you use on angel trumpets. Maxie

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 8:02AM
Linda01g

I have two angel trumpets one is fine but not flowering yet the other although flowering it's leaves have small holes in them and are going yellow I presume due to mites, one member suggested alcohol in water may I ask as I am from the UK what type of alcohol is this? and how many parts alcohol to water?
Thank you for any help

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 12:10PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Small holes in the leaves suggests snails and slugs - place some slug bait around the soil and that should take care of them until it rains.

I put my slug bait in a clear plastic glass, laid on its side, to keep it from getting rained on. You don't need much - maybe a tablespoon.

You can also put the bait in a beer bottle to keep it dry.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™