Madre Selva

goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))July 18, 2006

My husband came home with several plants given to him by a South American man moving away. The man wrote their names down but no care info. I really need help with one he called Madre Selva or Mother Forest. He said you get it when you have a daughter and never cut it until she marries. What I get in my online search is a huge snake and a place with the same name and everything else is in spanish(sigh) Presently it is quite happy in a container but my husband wants to plant it along the fence. I am trying to benefit animals and butterflies on my property so I don't want it to be invasive and take over their habitat.Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dick_Sonia(Sunset 17)

"Madre Selva" ("Mother Forest") is a famous biological research station in tropical Peru and also the name of a group of environmental activists headquartered in Guatemala.
As a plant name, it is usually spelled as one compound word: "madreselva". That still provides no definite ID. As is typical with common names anywhere, different peoples in different parts of the Spanish-speaking world apply it to different plants. It is most likely either a Lonicera or a Passiflora.

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 5:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cincinnata(S. Spain)

Well in Spain the 'madreselva' is Lonicera/Honeysuckle in any of its colour varieties. Check out the leaves of yours against photos of Honeysuckle.

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 4:55AM
More Discussions
Looking to swap rare tropical seeds and such
Looking to trade rare tropical seeds and such. Please...
Tropical Gardener
Blue Ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora)
Around this time of the year, the Blue Ginger blooms...
siegel2
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
Soursop - seedling or grafted?
For those of you who have tasted soursop, I wanted...
cattman
Need help identifying this plant
Hi! I have this long flowering plant with orange yellow...
audreydychua
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™