Bouganvillea question

vp_78July 30, 2012

I have a few Barbara Karst Bougies growing on trellises, and they are rather spindley. There's a lot of nice, green bushy new growth at the bottom that's starting to get color, and a lot of bright color and long shoots at the top.

The problem is that there's a solid 2-3 foot section in the middle with almost no branches or leaves. How do I encourage growth there?

Right now, they're about 7 feet tall. The bushy section at the bottom goes about 2 feet up. Should I cut them back all the way down to this new growth in the fall to encourage healthier plants next spring?

They came with our house, so I have no idea how old they were, if that has any bearing...

Thanks for any and all help!

-Vicki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I live on a golf course and the HOA maintains all the Bougies that are planted on every wall. They are not spindly, but I do notice the workers out there monthly pruning small sections constantly. This keeps them neat against the wall, and must encourage lower growth. You could try that prior to a complete whack prune job. I do know they are tough, and yours will rebound if you cut it way back.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™