Super Boy hybrid 785

billinsc(7B SC)March 12, 2010

I need some info on this hybrid. I can't find much on it except that it is supposedly disease tolerant to VFFNASt.

Anyone here grow this hybrid?

Bill in SC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Never grew, but it is just a medium 6-8 ounce round red hybrid. VFFNASt. It is not that unusual in modern hybrids. We don't have all of them in this area, But i do need TSWV most years, other wise Fusarium and nematodes are the major problems. Verticillium, Alternaria, Stemphylium I have not encountered in this area.

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 7:58PM
stquack

Billinsc, I grow Super Boys every year. I've never had a problem. In the picture below the Super Boys are the ones on the left Big Boys middle and Better Boys right. The pictures were taken in late June. The Super Boy, No joke grew to about 8 feet. Biggest tomato plant I've ever grown.

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 8:14AM
mrainey(7b)

"Biggest tomato plant I've ever grown."

And I just bought a pack of Super Boy 785 seeds (Ferry-Morse) that labels them as determinate!

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 1:34PM
stquack

mrainey,

Make sure if you stake them to use two because these plants are huge. They're not just tall for a determinate they're very full and don't do well in thunder storms high winds. I also pile grass clippings around the base every time cut the grass.

Good luck

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 9:47PM
rwk_nova(7, Northern VA)

Is there any improvement in size, texture, flavor, or production of Super Boy over Better Boy or just increased disease resistance?
Thanks.
Rick

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 9:32AM
stquack

rwk nova,

Size, I would say they are about the same as a Better Boy. Texture, in my experience is the Better Boy was softer and faster to split and rot which brings in bugs. The Super Boys were firm kind of like a Roma but same size as a Better Boy.

IÂm not saying Super Boys are the best but for someone that canÂt make it into the garden everyday it helps when they donÂt fall off and rot, which we all know brings in bugs and ants.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™