What is this plant

fmcgoohanJuly 22, 2012

I was given this plant but have no idea what it is. There are three individual plants in the pot. One of the plants has developed a pattern of brown spots on one of the leaves. The other two are starting to develop browning around the edge of the leaves. Can someone help answer what is this plant, how to best take care of it and how to combat the browning? Sorry, I know that is a lot but I'm afraid it is only going to get worse if I don't figure out what the plant needs.

Thanks very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
looks like either a bird of paradise of one of it's relatives ,or might be a Calathea?? Would suggest repotting and a shady summer out doors. If a BOP definitely needs a lot more light. gary

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 5:35PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

It's a white bird of paradise. It's most likely browning because it is very root-bound and can't take up water to support that much foliage. You don't show a climate zone by your user name and that's a problem when trying to help someone with a plant issue.

If you are in zone 8b or above, plant this in the ground and keep it watered. If you are in a zone below 8b, plant them individually in garbage can-size planters and drag them into a warm and well-lit spot over the winter.

They will need fertilizer after you get them re-potted and they have become established - a month or two.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 10:01PM
fmcgoohan

Thanks for your quick replies! I'm actually in New York and the plant has been indoors since I got it. I'll have to get another pot for it until I can find a suitable location. Any ideas on how to keep it from growing too much without harming it?
Thanks!

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Bird of Paradise 'Mandella's Gold' Flower
After years of waiting, my Mandella's Gold BOP has...
siegel2
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™