Sources for Achachairu

simon_growMarch 10, 2011

Hello everyone, thanks to jsvand5 I'm out to get yet another fruit tree. I can easily do a search for Achachairu plants but I figure you guys/gals might know of somewhere that has better specimens and that will ship to California. If you have an Achachairu, please post pics and give any info or advice. Thanks in advance!

Simon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nullzero(9)

I want one now too lol... maybe I will grow this one out from seeds (if I can find any).

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 12:19PM
nullzero(9)

Here is a source I just recently found

http://www.montosogardens.com/tropical_fruit_trees.htm

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 12:27PM
boson(Delray Beach,Florida)

Hi,

I got some of my Achachairu seed from www.montosogardens.com and another batch from www.viveroanones.com (under the name bacuripari - Rheedia laterifolia).

Tomas

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 12:47PM
tropicaliste

Thank you for the heads-up on the seed sources, Boson I could never find the site for VA.

:)

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 2:11PM

Forgot to mention that if you are interested I can always mail you a few Achachairu plants. That would save you about 3 years.

Tomas
Florida

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 3:44PM
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

These are slow growing plants also, so having patience is a must!

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 6:26AM
simon_grow

Hey Tomas, are you able to ship to San Diego? I also read in a thread of yours that there is a larger Mexican Garcinia that is about 4 times larger than Achachairu and may possibly taste better. Do you have that variety growing as well?

Simon

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 11:53AM

Hi Simon,

Sure I can ship to San Diego. And yes, I have the Mexican Garcinia too, but just a few. Send me an email, and we can arrange something.

Tomas

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 12:30PM

Hi Simon,

I believe you asked about information about Achachairu. Here is information about Achachairu, from the excellent book "BRAZILIAN FRUITS AND CULTIVATED EXOTICS" by Harri Lorenzi:

The Rheedia laterifolia (achachairu) is an exotic fruit bearer, recently introduced in the state of Sao Paulo, where it has adapted itself very well, it is originally from the mid altitude forests of Bolivia, where it occurs in its native state and also semi-cultivated. It is an evergreen tree, that exudes a yellow later, it is 10-14 m in height. Leaves simple, coriaceous, glabrous and lustrouson the superior surface, from 10-18 cm in length. Flowers are solitary or grouped on axillary fascicles, male and androgynous, they form mainly during the months of July to September. Fruits are drupes, with a thick skin, they ripen in December-January, they contain 1-2 seeds covered in a compact pulp, with a sweet flavor lightly acidic and very flavorful. The fruits are consumed in their natural state and are greatly appreciated. This is a fruit with great potential for commercial cultivation, because of its durability and tolerance to handling and shipping.

Tomas

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 8:32AM

Hi,

For everyone interested in growing the Mexican Garcinia, now is the chance. The guy in Mexico is right now offering seeds. Just click on the link below. Go to the database and click "SEARCH" button. It's listed as "Garcinia sp mexicana"

Tomas

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Fruit List database

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 8:38AM
jsvand5

Thanks for the heads up. I sent him an email.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 10:29AM
newgen(9 Central California)

boson: how long will it take for a Garcinia to produce fruits? I notice a lot of montosogarden's plants for sale are from seedlings.

Thanks,

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 12:06AM

Hi,

It varies. Some Garcinia species are slow and some are fast. I think the fastest fruting Garcinia is the dwarf variety of Garcinia brasiliensis that I grow. It's supposed to fruit in only 2 years (from seedlings). I think Achachairu will fruit in about 6 years (from seedling). Garcinia acuminata is relatively fast too to first fruiting - about 3 years. All according to my seed sources, because none of mine are fruiting yet.

Tomas

Tomas

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Moringa O. seeds trade for tropical fruit ?
I have several dozen Moringa seeds, i already have...
greenman62
My Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) in SoCal
Here was my Dragon Fruit plants in Pots back in May....
enocchen
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
Lara Farms Nursery??
Anyone familiar with this Florida nursery that can...
ohiojay
Help with longan in pot
My longan in a pot which I put in the greenhouse about...
vanman23
Sponsored Products
Stackable Classic Glasses - Set of 4
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Modern Fan Company | Velo Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
La Scala Parchment Gold Three-Light Clear Rock Crystal Wall Sconce, 15W x 17.5H
Bellacor
Progress Lighting P2812-20Wb Academy Three-Light Antique Bronze Bath Light Wih B
Progress Lighting
Lite Source Zac Dark Walnut Modern Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Radionic Hi Tech Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Orly Rubbed Bronze LED Sconce
Home Depot
Arteriors Home - Falcon Small Sconce - DK42059
Great Furniture Deal
Nora NTH-695 Telescope Line Voltage MR16 GU10.0 Track Fixture
LBC Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™