Help with MANDEVILLA (Care Instructions?

gardenbug(8b)July 24, 2013

My neighbor gave me a pink mandevilla in April before she moved away. I have never had one and would like to know how to care for it. I took it out of the small pot she had it in and put it in one a little larger with good soil. It seems to be doing good right now. It has lots of buds on it. The leaves are a nice shiny green. I have it placed in full sun all day long. It gets hot direct afternoon sun. We've been having a very warm summer. My mandevilla, although it has lots of buds doesn't seem to be growing up the trellis that I have placed in the pot. What kind of fertilizer should I give it? Any help would be appreciated. I'm sorry but I don't know the name of this mandevilla expcept that it has pink blooms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
delreytropical(6)

Once you initially wrap one shoot around the trellis, it will continue to do it itself, but you have to start it.

Place in full sun and dont cut or pinch anything back.

I dont fertilize my mandevilla, it doesnt seem to need it. But I think as long as you place in full sun and have it working up a trellis it will do well.

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 11:58AM
gardenbug(8b)

delreytropical ~ Thanks so much for your reply. I haven't pinched or cut anything back. The buds are getting bigger each day and it looks like they should open up anytime now. I have the vines wrapped around the trellis but it seems to be getting bushier than taller.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 3:44PM
fin2ya(4)

I have dark red Mandevilla on my balkony. It stays middle of two rosemary. It love sun and heat. I mist it almost every nigth when sun is go down. In awhile I put seeweed in my misting bottle. I pick up the ded flower and that's it. Easy plant to care.....in summer. Winter is another thing. But now i summer....enjoy!

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 6:41PM
fin2ya(4)

We have really bad weather yesterday and today. It's raining and it's cold. I brought my tropical plants such as Mandevilla indoor. No it is in hanging baskets.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:27PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

We know this plant as Brazilian Jasmine or Dipladenia. The word "Brazilian" should remind you that this is a tropical plant and needs very warm temperatures most of the time. It also needs a lot of light to flower well. As climbers go, it's quite a slow grower, however, so is a good pot option. Good luck. Ian.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 9:17PM
jb9269

Cadence,
Have had success with Mandevilla's for about 4 yrs in PA.
Make sure that the pot has at least 1/3 sand. Proper drainage is key. As you add potting mix make sure to add sand. Only water every five days or so. A young plant can take up to 8 weeks to truly start showing itself. Good luck its an awesome plant.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
Strelitzia reginae
I'm growing a strelitzia in a container in a sunny...
charles27gardener
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™