Collapsed heliconia clump

ianbrazil(11)July 12, 2013

I have a large clump of tall Heliconias (about 10 feet or 3m high). Unfortunately a large number of them have collapsed and are now leaning against other trees and shrubs or on the ground. Is it worth trying to tie them up or should I just cut them off and wait for new growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Are they withered, or still green? Do you have a photo?

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:55PM
ianbrazil(11)

Still green. The third-or-so that are still standing look perfectly healthy and there is new growth at the base.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 1:19PM
tropicbreezent

I think a lot of the taller heliconias grow naturally in sheltered (windless) situations. In gardens they often end up more exposed so more prone to falling over. My tallest are 2 to 2.5 metre rostratas which seem to get by even though they're still fairly exposed to wind. But they do have some small trees/shrubs around them which helps.

With yours, it would be a personal, value decision. The green stems would still be feeding the rhizomes, so they have a lot of value for the plants. For people it's a matter of aesthetics, if it looks "untidy" they get rid of it. I tend to side with the plants, so my approach would be to tie them up and only cut them out when they become useless to the plants.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:49PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
i have the same problem particularly with the large flowered verticals most notable is rostata . I planted some among a clumping white bird of paradise which supports them but sure becomes a tangled mess lol. In Costa Rica
they used a wire tunnel and the flowers hung down on the inside. Worked beautifully but requires a rather large tunnel. Only other choice seems to be staking?? gary

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:11AM
More Discussions
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!! DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR...
siegel2
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™