Anyone grow Carambola (Starfruit) in significant shade?

wardog25March 6, 2013

Does anyone grow Carambola in partial shade? I hear they are great fruit producers, so I was wondering if perhaps it would be a good choice for a partial shade spot I have, because if I get a few less fruit (rather than the bucketloads that people say they get from these trees), I won't be bothered.

I have a spot next to the house that in wintertime will only get what sun can filter through a nearby oak. And in summer the spot will get maybe 2 hours of sun in the late morning before the sunlight is blocked by our house. The spot will get zero early morning sun and will not get afternoon sun until the branches reach high enough.

I'm just wondering if a carambola could still thrive there and give some ok fruit production. My other options are a navel orange and a guava tree that I'm planting, but I think both of those need more sun for fruiting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

I had some come up from seed in partial shade. They still fruited well but the plants were more spindly and sparsely branched. The shade was from other trees and was filtered, not solid.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:23PM
wardog25

Thanks.

I think I'm going to go ahead and put one there and see how it does. It's possible once it gets tall enough that the upper branches could get 4-6 hours of sun. It's just early on that it won't get near as much. So hopefully it does ok.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:56PM
gnappi

I have three all shaded by large bananas. I keep them thick by pruning and they fruit REALLY well.

I have a Bell, Kari and a Kajang and all so far have fruited more than I can eat. My co-workers love them and I expect so many fruit this year I'm going to have a hand at making carambola wine!

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Lara Farms Nursery??
Anyone familiar with this Florida nursery that can...
ohiojay
Hak Ip Lychee Blooming SoCal
Last year i decided to plant 3 lychee trees here in...
grox200
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Runner Rug: Olympia Blue 2' 9" x 14'
Home Depot
Normann Copenhagen Norm 69 Suspension Lamp L
ModernistLighting.com
Pendant Lighting with 3 Circle Crystal Pendant Light
ParrotUncle
Zuo Fort Mason Distressed Wood Shelf
Euro Style Lighting
Whitehaus WHKN1091 White Ceramic Oval Above Mount Bathroom Sink Basin
$199.00 | Blue Bath