what plants are easy to grow from clippings

endlessbarrelsAugust 8, 2007

Hello, my name is Pete and I live on the north shore of oahu. I am just starting to get my landscaping going and wanted to know what plants could clip and put in my garden. I know of plumeria and ti leaf , but what about tahitian gardenia???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bearstate(9A)

Potato Bush aka. Peruvian Nightshade is extremely easy to propogate from clippings ... a real confidence builder, matter of factly. Bougainvillea are also easy, but don't grow as quickly as Potato Bush. There is one patented cultivar of potato bush, but the wild species is not. There are several patented cultivars of Bougainvillea.

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 6:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdinthepalm

I know that many plants in tropical climates are said only to require that you cut a piece and stick it in the ground and then just give it a little time, but I'd guess it depends on relative humidity for the particular area, since cuttings do need to be kept from drying out in lower humidities. In that case however, just putting some kind of clear cover might work outdoors til they've rooted, though in sunnier conditions , covered plants can get very hot and shadier conditions might work better if you use a container to root first and then plant it in more sun once rooted. Nearly all the tropicals are easy, if placed in potting mix and covered, with perhaps some rooting hormone used as well.
Gardenias , hibiscus, bouvardias , cestrums etc etc. and there's almost no limit to the ones that root fairly easily if given warmth light and high humidity til they've rooted. Sorry not to be more specific!

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Finally, it has bloomed!
After eight or more years, this heliconia has bloomed....
shuffles_gw
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™