Shade-tolerant heliconias

albabyAugust 24, 2011

I'm looking to plant some heliconias as part of a landscaping project along my back fence, but a big segment of the area I need to plant out is fairly shaded. A little direct morning sun, but mostly it will be 60-70% shaded by a large tree canopy - and completely shaded by the fence itself in the afternoon.

Does anyone have experience with particularly shade-tolerant helis that might work out for that situation?

Alan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Heliconia Sharonii and Heliconia Red Angusta can tolerate that amount of shade. Heliconia Rostrata can grow in some shade but will get pretty tall as a result of low sunlight.

Steve

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 8:13AM
albaby

Thanks, Steve. I'll see if I can track some down. I just hope they'll bloom in that much shade, but one can only try!

Alan

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 5:36PM
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Mine have bloomed in that much shade. I don't grow Sharonii anymore but did for years and other than being a somewhat finicky plant, it bloomed regularly for me in 60% shade. I still grow Red Angusta and it will have no problem blooming in that much shade. You can find both of these heliconia on ebay on a regular basis and the sellers, if domestic, are reliable.

Steve

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Similar To Cavendishia
What is this? It is similar to Cavendishia. It is epiphytic...
pitter_col
where can I find the full "suicidal gardenia" thread?
Anyone know where to read the whole thing?
dreambig3becca
Pineapple suckers
Maybe 16-18 months old. Last Fall(?) I got 5 pups around...
Richard (chuggerguy)
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Jasminum sambac Mali chat
Does anyone has ever seen Jasminum Sambac Mali chat...
bunti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™