Amorphophalus perrieri and paeoniifolius

birdboyhg(PA 6a)August 30, 2013

Hello, I recently received two Amorphophalus corms. They are both dormant. This is my first experience with Amorphs and was wondering if you think it better to plant now and water sparingly until active growth begins, or keep them out of the ground and pot them up once growth starts? I have seen people do it both ways, Does it even matter?
Thanks
B

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

You're lucky getting A. perrieri, there wouldn't be too many around in cultivation. You'd be better off leaving both of them until they start to shoot, especially since you're coming into your cold season. Unless you can provide hot, humid conditions for them they really won't do well. And if they get cold while wet they'll rot very fast. Good luck with them.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 8:47PM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

Agreed!
I'm only familiar with paeonifolius, but growing now would not be ideal!
Unless they are shootin roots out and spiked up big time I'd try to hold out as long as possible...

Konjac is always so tough and reliable, looks great too, don't pass on them just because they are so common, still very worthwhile, a d there's several rare forms that are roughly as easy to grow..
Sauronotum venosum is another good one for beginners too!

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 11:27PM
birdboyhg(PA 6a)

I actually have both of those, but they are planted outside. I shouldnt say this is my first time working with Amorphs, just with perrieri and paeonifolius. I also have a tiny titanum and bulbifer. Again, I do not mean to try to get them to start growing... for example some people dig up their amaryllis bulbs and replant when they are ready, others leave them in the pot and just stop watering.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 7:19AM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

Cool and dry my freind...

I can't speak on perreri it may want to be potted while dormant...

Paeonifolius can handle both treatments, but I'm pretty sure unpotted and dry is best

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 5:55AM
More Discussions
gribbleton
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™