New to container Mangos..

pj1881(10a PBC Fla.)March 18, 2011

Well I ran out of space in my yard for trees in the ground.. So I have begun to plant in containers..

So far I have a Fairchild Mango and a Nam Doc Mai both in containers, and a Cogshall in the ground.. I was thinking of maybe looking for a Pickering, because I like the Coconut undertone. Any suggestions.. I live in Palm Beach County near WPB Airport, so I have no worries as to temps..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nullzero(9)

You have a great selection there. Currently, I only have a Julie and a Manila seedling. I want to add either a Nam Doc Ma or Mallika myself.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 7:36PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

I have a Glenn and Pickering in containers...although I know Glenn can get large...but you can always "pug" the trees to keep them in check.

I've had mixed feeling about Mallika since I've read several reviews of the taste having "carrot undertones" and picking them before they ripen on the tree...I'm not sure I would like carrot flavor in my Mangoes,lol...but taste is very subjective so plant the ones that you like the taste of! Good luck with whatever you decide to plant.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 2:59PM
pj1881(10a PBC Fla.)

Thanks! How big of a pot does a "container" Mango require as a "permanent" home?

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 3:28PM
nullzero(9)

Personally, I would go with a 15gal to 30gal container. Anything bigger, it can become quite a hassle to root prune. A good idea is to get 30 gal plastic drum, cut the top off and mount some wheels on the bottom.

My supply of big containers now comes from used and washed out 30 gal plastic drums from the carwash (they use biodegradable soap). This saves me a good deal of money, I also spray paint them grey or black.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 4:52PM
pj1881(10a PBC Fla.)

How often do you root prune nullzero?

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 5:19PM
nullzero(9)

I try to do it once a year. If I miss it, I make it a point to get it done within 2 years.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
Yellowing of Papaya leaves
Hi all, My papaya plant has been losing it's lower...
CoryMiamiBeach
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™