transplanting

dba1954(6 - Buffalo area)March 1, 2012

I want to transplant my tomatoes, was wondering If I can clip the cotyledon leaves (I think that's what those first two leaves are) and burry up to the first set of 'real' leaves? Or should I wait till they fall off on their own?

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato plants

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You can but you don't have to clip them. Just bury them. Good looking plants you have there.

Dave

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 5:05PM
dba1954(6 - Buffalo area)

Thanks Dave, Din't know I could bury them. As for the plants, I got grow lights this year (8 bulb 4 ft T5HO's) and they are making the plants grow too fast. In prior years we would use weak shop lights and place near windows, they would grow slow so we would plant early and ferry them outside any warm day we had. Now I'm stuck with plants that are maturing quickly with 11 or more weeks left till I can place them out. Next year we will not plant as early ... love these lamps.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 5:49PM
barrie2m_

We do a lot of clipping and burying when planting. Any branch that will be underground entirely just gets burried. It's the branches at the soil line that I clip.

You will need to pay attention to both lighting and pot size in a few weeks. My plants are about that size now but I plan to have almost all those in the ground,in tunnels, in 10 days. You may want to start shopping for a few more lights.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 6:21PM
dba1954(6 - Buffalo area)

Interested in the clipping of the branches at the soil line, why is that? btw .. I have a couple of 4 light 6400k T5HO 2ft'ers if I need to supplement the 3 4ft 8 bulb units I have, space is getting tight however ... Thanks all.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 6:35PM
barrie2m_

Branches, leaves or fruit touching the soil are more susepteble to soil contamination diseases. Many of those diseases, once on the lower leaves can grow and more quickly spread up the plant. Plant stems can still be infected but they are less likely because of many factors: surface hairs, available plant sugars, faster drying, etc. You could pinch off leaves but clipping creates a lesser wound.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:06AM
kathywide(7b)

In addition to what others have shared here ... your plants look great! At 5 weeks and with the bits of yellow, you may want to fertilize very, very lightly. This link may help as your re-pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Re-potting tomato seedlings

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
Turbo-Tomato Mulch (Red Plastic) From Gurneys
First time poster here. I wonder if anybody has used...
andrew_swmo
Baby tomatoes with yellowing leaves
My tomatoes plants are about 5 weeks old. They have...
libraryannie
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™