Nam Doc Mai Mango and Sweetheart Lychee

IamKriyaMarch 1, 2014

Hello everyone! Just bought these 2 trees in 15 gallon pots. I live in zone 9a Florida were we can have 5-10 frost days a year and was wondering what the experienced growers have to say about planting these in the ground vs keeping them in pots. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redfoot

If you want them to fruit extensively I would plant both in the ground and be prepared to cover them if you get temps in the 20s. Both those trees can be kept at a manageable height so it shouldn't be too difficult. The lychee will take slightly colder temperatures than the mango.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 9:27PM
myamberdog

My friends in N. FL do both. Some of them keep them in pots, and also have some in the ground, which they have to protect of course. So why not hedge your bet and do both? That's what I probably would do......

Also, if you do plant outside, probably best in the best protected (and warm) space you can find in your yard, or even up next to your house......

MDog

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 12:11AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

I live in FL zone 9b...two hours south of Orlando and get about 3-7 days of freeze depending on the year. I have both inground young mango and lychee trees and also a couple of potted ones.

I have had them severely damaged one year (not a single leaf survive) lost a couple of trees in 2010 (temps dipped in the low 20's) for a few mornings in row! Most of them survived due to covering with Frost cloth/blankets and a heat source underneath.

Lychee can take colder temps than mango but not until the tree matures a little at least 4-5 years old. The older and mature the tree gets the better the cold tolerance.

Here's a few pictures of the tree damaged in one of my winters...

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 9:26AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Here's the tree 2 months later...April 2009

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 9:28AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

This is the same tree taken a few days go...you can plant them in the ground just be sure to add some heat source and cover the plant all the way down to the ground...think "green house" affect..

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 9:30AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

One of my winter protection...

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 9:33AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Iam, have you decided whether you're going to leave your mango trees in the pot or plant them? Do you have pictures of your trees?

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
WTB Wax Jambu, Star fruit and Barbados Cherry cuttings
Want to buy (WTB) cuttings of the following plants Star...
poetie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™