Voodoo Lily needs help

senjanevada(9)August 12, 2013

My voodoo lily seem to stop growing. The leaves edges turned to yellowish and brownish.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

They will die back at the end of summer., depending on how soon the cold arrives. Yours might be getting ready to turn in for the winter. When they do go dormant it's important to keep them pretty dry.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 1:08AM
senjanevada(9)

Thanks. So, I don't need to worry.

This is my first time growing Voodoo lily. In fact, one more bulb still in the water to roots.

I am in High-desert, pretty much dry here.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 4:07PM
tropicbreezent

Do you have them sitting in water? That wouldn't be a good idea. They are more drought tolerant than they are flood tolerant. Keep the potting mix moist but not wet otherwise you'll end up rotting the tuber. If your season is still warm enough for growing then that yellow/brown could be from too much water. When the weather does get colder then yes, you can expect the foliage to dry off like that. Once the plant does die off keep the tuber dry until it starts to shoot next season. People usually take the tubers out of the soil and put them in a cool (not cold) dry cupboard or on a shelf.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 8:07AM
senjanevada(9)

I root them in the bowl of water before transfer them in the pot. The pots are dry. We are here in the High Desert, no rain at all this year (yet)

I have one more tube that did not show any growth. I took it from the pot and put it back in bowl of water. It grows bunch of roots in few days, and ready to transfer back to the pot.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™