Shredded Cedar Mulch... oops?

mulleniumApril 7, 2011

Alright so I've already planted my Jaboticaba in a 24 inch pot containing peat moss, perlite, compost, and shredded cedar mulch..

I just found a thread on AL's gritty mix and eh stated cedar isnt good to grow with because of the tannins contained in the oil prevents plant growth..

what do i do now? do i chuck this medium (24 inch pot is huge.. not sure on the gallon capacity) or try and sift out the cedar shreds? or should I just toss it all on top of some of my in ground plants as a top dressing then make a new batch without the cedar?

i still have lots of peat moss and compost left, and a bag or 2 of perlite and 2 bags of decomposed granite sand..

would you guys suggest that i go out and try to find something like orchid bark or can I get by without any wood chips/bark at all for an outdoor potting medium?

i still need to plant my pickering which should arrive tomorrow..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
red_sea_me

Just my 2 cents, dump the mix with the cedar into the flower beds and buy some premixed cactus/palm mix and go with it. With many of my plants I do just that, I was using another brand but now use 'Kellog's' in the green striped bag. It seems to drain well which is important, you can always add water or use a saucer. I also give a light sprinkle of mycorrhizae fungi to the roots at planting. Plus, try not to over pot, especially with a recently received bare rooted mango tree. When they first arrive try to find a pot the same size as the root ball, let is grow there for a few weeks to recover, then plant it up a pot size or two.

good luck,
-Ethan

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 1:40AM
tropicaliste

Treat your flowers and dump that soil, I didn't know that about the tannins but I wouldn't take the chance so thanks for sharing your info.

:)

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 4:35PM
mullenium

yeah i dont grow flowers so ill have to dump it around some trees.. i dont know if i should risk putting it on top of my raised veggie gardens, not sure i want to consume those tannins..

i just purchased a couple 8oz bags of volcanic pumice

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™