Tamarind

swrancherAugust 22, 2009

Wife and kids were out school shopping today and I got bored at home so took a nice weekend drive. Long story short...I somehow ended up at Pine Island Nursery and bought myself a small 3-4 foot Tamarind tree for my front yard, something I have been thinking about doing awhile. Planted the tree as soon as I got it home.

Anyway PIN normally has those tags with some information and planting instructions but mine was missing a tag. Anyone have advice on growing this type of tree? Should I mulch around it? How fast do they grow? How long until I start getting pods? I'm located in South Florida (Southwest Broward) and my soil here is a real nice black muck/sand type mix that most plants seem to do well with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiojay(z6 OH)

A very beautiful tree if kept pruned and shaped. Otherwise, they will get enormous! They are not too fussy about soil. Grow fast and react to pruning very well. So you can dictate the shape you want. Most will start blooming around 4 years old but probably won't fruit until about the 6th year. Mulching is always beneficial...just keep it away from the trunk. There's tons of info on the web too.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
Brown edges on leaves
My White Bat Plant's leaves are turning brown. What...
copanolady
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
where can I find the full "suicidal gardenia" thread?
Anyone know where to read the whole thing?
dreambig3becca
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™