Ugly Mango Seedling?!

StacieWacie92August 27, 2012

Okay, So I planted a mango seedling on August 9th and here it is August 27th. I just so happened to check my mango plant, and here is what is in the pot(Hopefully the pic uploads). It looks... ugly. Is it even a mango? lol. I've been googling mango pictures but haven't seen anything like mine. What in the World is growing in my plant pot if it isn't even a dang mango? Just slightly worried I have some deformed mango of some sort...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctnchpr

Looks like a mushroom...

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 2:17AM
houstontexas123(z9a)

shroom

how did you prepare the mango seed? did you cut it out of the hard shell and let it germinate?

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 2:21AM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

definitely shroom. Mango can take a real long time to sprout.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 3:03AM
StacieWacie92

How did a mushroom get in my mango pot? lol. I took the seed out of the husk that was inside of the mango. Soaked it for a little while(about a day, should've soaked it longer) and then planted it in soil. I covered it with saran wrap and it's been outside during the day and inside at night. Temp has been about 80+ here in Maryland. Should I take the mushroom out? Is it a bad sign for my mango seedling? I was so excited to see some sort of growth. Thought it would at least be a sign that there is some sort of life going on in my plant pot. Where did the mushroom come from? I bought soil at walmart specifically for seed starting. Miracle Grow brand. Should I give my mango seed more time to sprout? Or should it have sprouted by now?

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:03AM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

The mushroom is living off the mulch in your pot--probably the spore was on the soil when you got it. The extra humidity from keeping the pot wrapped in saran probably made the perfect climate for the shroom. I get these all the time, they don't damage the plant.

seems to me the one time I sprouted a mango, it took several weeks to come up.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 3:18PM
StacieWacie92

Yeah I was curious with how the seed was doing. I unearthed it and made sure it wasn't rotting on me. It seems to look fine to me. I'm just surprised with how small of a root it's formed in these two an a half weeks. I went ahead and put it back into the pot, but didn't burry it as deep. In fact, I left part of the seed exposed to absorb more heat and moisture. Maybe that'll give the seed a kick start:) I am so happy to hear that the mushroom isn't going to take over the mango seed. Actually, I checked it out early this morning an the mushroom had died already. I just chuckled and now I'm hoping for the best. I'm debating on germinating another mango seed in a wet paper towel while I wait for the one to sprout. And if it doesn't sprout, well then at least I'll have a back up:)

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
where can I find the full "suicidal gardenia" thread?
Anyone know where to read the whole thing?
dreambig3becca
Looking to swap rare tropical seeds and such
Looking to trade rare tropical seeds and such. Please...
Tropical Gardener
Have Tropical Hib. "Splash" cuttings to trade
Anyone have any named tropical hibiscus cuttings? I...
irish_rose_grower
Blue Ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora)
Around this time of the year, the Blue Ginger blooms...
siegel2
Can you help me ID this vine/climber?
Hello, I got this plant last year from a very lovely...
dubai-gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™