What causes a tomato to have a mealy texture?

yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)March 5, 2011

Just had the first Moreton and Ramapo tomatoes of 2011 and they had a mealy texture to them. What causes this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Left on the plant until over-ripe.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 6:48PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

Is it just that they were overripe because these were picked not too long after color break and allowed to ripen indoors.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 7:14PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Inconsistent soil moisture levels also cause it. It is more common with plants grown in containers because of the difficulty in maintaining a consistent soil moisture. The smaller the container the more difficult the problem.

Dave

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 7:17PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

Hmmm, I water these every day and haven't seen wilting, but these first tomatoes were definitely mealy. Darn.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 7:28PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Stink bugs and sun scorching also causes this. Overripe would be mushy.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 7:36PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Sorry that should be sun scalding.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 7:38PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I water these every day and haven't seen wilting, but these first tomatoes were definitely mealy.

That isn't the point. It is the consistency of the soil moisture levels that is vital. Is it the same level of moisture at 2 pm as it is at 9 pm and 7 am and 10:30 am. The tomato tissue is developing 24 hours a day so does it have the same amount of moisture to draw on throughout that 24 hours?

Some days you may have to water 3 times a day or more. Other days not at all. Some containers may need several waterings a day while others need none. Size, container color, soil type, soil temperature, plant location and exposure, even variety determine when watering is needed, not the time of day. And watering daily whether the particular plant needs it or not is never a good idea.

These are all issues with growing in containers. In-ground plants roots can roam for several feet (and do) to find moisture and nutrients. Container plants cannot. Container plants' roots are 'contained' so they are totally dependent on that is in the container.

That is one reason why the larger the container the better is the common recommendation, avoid over-crowding, and why so many of us who grow in containers recommend things like moisture meters, deep finger test, and drip irrigation systems on an auto timer.

Is it just that they were overripe because these were picked not too long after color break and allowed to ripen indoors.

No. Mealy texture develops while the fruit is developing and before color break occurs.

Dave

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 9:25PM
remy_gw

I find first tomatoes are sometimes not so good. So fruits to come may taste much better.
Remy

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 10:10PM
carmen_grower_2007(4/5)

I had this problem with all of my plants last season. The weather was very cold at night and we had constant rain right up through the middle of summer. We had a very poor crop and the only good tomatoes we got were two Opalkas planted in another area that doesn't have the high water table.

This season, I will plant my tomatoes in two different areas.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 9:45AM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

I am happy to report that the subsequent tomatoes did NOT have the mealy texture.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Avoid Disease
Hello. My first time posting here. I guess I'm a novice...
chickencoupe
Plant Out Plans For--2015 Season
Who is getting ready for the big event : i.e, PLANT...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
My Druzba
must think it's halloween as it's short,stocky and...
jwr6404
Overwhelmed with tomato variety options, need some help choosing...
I realize that for many of you tomatophiles, planting...
stringz
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Sponsored Products
Millennium Caribbean Mist Rectangular: 5 Ft. by 8 Ft. Rug
$679.00 | Bellacor
5'x8' Blue Ikat Hand-Braided Jute Bima Area Rug
Cost Plus World Market
Liberty Furniture Sinclair Media Chest in Rustic Russet Finish
Beyond Stores
Surya CLP5002 Calypso Area Rug - CLP5002-268
$231.94 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Sisal Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Karastan Sierra Mar French Quarter Bluestone Rug (2'5 x 8')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™