storing Gloriosa Lily tubers

karyn1(7a)September 21, 2007

How do I store Gloriosa Lily tubers? When should I dig them up? Do I let a frost kill back the above ground growth or should I dig them up before then? If they should be lifted before a frost should I leave them in the garage and let the foliage dry out or do I just cut it off? Should I store them in peat or put them in a pot of soil and keep that in a cool dark place?

TIA,

Karyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wanna_run_faster

I pulled out some of mine (just cause I had to move them and didn't have a new place for them at the time). I cut off all the growth, let them "dry" for a couple of days, and then wrapped them up in a couple of sheets of newspaper. I stored them in a box in a cool, dry place and when I finally got around to planting them about 6 or 7 months later they were fine and popped right up.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 8:13PM
karyn1(7a)

Thanks for the info.
Karyn

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 9:55PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

If they are grown in pots you can store them in the pot and do not water until spring- sorta like you do gingers. I throw mine in the garage in pots and forget about them till spring.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 2:30PM
karyn1(7a)

They are in the garden. I didn't even know what they were until one bloomed and honestly don't remember planting them last spring but I must have. I have stuff popping up all over that I'd forgotten about. That's what happens when your kid pulls out all the plant tags he can find. lol
Karyn

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 4:13PM
musarojo

Hi Karyn,

I store mine in their pot for the winter. I plan to carefully remove them from their pot this spring, presoak them, and replant them in a larger pot. My original tuber had been stored in dry sphagnum moss before I received it.

They are said to do better if planted in pots and presoaking them in spring to wake them up is said to improve success with them.

Philip

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 2:22AM
musarojo

"Presoak" should be "presprout" before replanting them. Like desert roses, there is a danger of losing them to rot if they are given a lot of water before they break dormancy.

Philip

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 11:48AM
kelpie473(9b sw Fla)

The not remembering planting them might also be a function of their fondness for migrating if they're in the ground, they love to pop up somewhere new.

Suzanne

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 2:13PM
karyn1(7a)

That's weird Suzanne, maybe that's what happened. The plants have certainly grown far from where they came up and are completely entwined in a PG hydrangea tree. It makes it look like the flowers are from the tree and not the lily tuber. Kind of pretty actually. Thanks all for the storage tips.
Karyn

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 8:01AM
More Discussions
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™