Tiguna Tomato?

bindersbee(6a UT)March 16, 2012

My sister grew this one last year. It is a ruffled red tomato which tastes pretty good. She saved some seeds and I just planted some up today in the greenhouse.

The seed was brought from Paris by a friend of hers and I can find NO information on this tomato online. Has anyone heard of it or, even better, grown it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

bindersbee, I have some good news and some bad news.

How about Tiguan RZ, a cherry from the Dutch firm Rijk Zwaan? They're apparently a veggie breeder.

See p. 7 on the far right here:
http://www.rijkzwaan.com/wps/wcm/connect/a7d2598047b9fff48ba0bf771bee7b7a/PDF_S%26S_FEB_2011.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

I can't find info on either spelling in the big tomato databases (including the really huge ones in France and Germany).

I went to Rijk Zwaan's web site and didn't find info there either. In any case, they don't seem to offer that variety in the US -- but neither do I find it listed for their French business or even in Holland.

But the "RZ" suffix in "Tiguan RZ" seems to be how they denote all their varieties. And here's a bit of possibly bad news: in their variety lists on the three country web sites I checked, every single variety name is followed by "F1." So whatever Tiguan RZ is, it's a hybrid and doesn't breed true.

The seeds you have may resemble the original Tiguan RZ closely -- or not. At the least, they're likely to have lost some or all of their disease resistance.

So since it's not the original Tiguan, I suppose you might as well continue to call it Tiguna. 8-D

Okay -- the first link mentions that they're grown in Spain. So I figured it would only be sensible look at RZ's Spanish web site ... inasmuch as I read Spanish a heck of a lot better than I read Dutch! And the variety is listed there:
http://www.rijkzwaan.es/wps/wcm/connect/RZ+ES/Rijk+Zwaan/Products_and_Services/Products/Crops/Tomate
(If that doesn't open to a list of tomatoes, click on "Productos & Servicios" at the top left, then choose "Tomate." And if necessary, click on the small drop-down "Choose website by country" at the lower left; you may need to do that more than once.)

On the variety list, the round gray icons after some of the varieties are supposed to indicate Organic, Industry, Convenience, and Flavor. No variety gets more than one ... and some get none! Tiguan rates a Flavor icon. [And notice that their tomatoes are either organic OR convenient OR flavorful -- but never more than one!]

VW sells a car named Tiguan ... originally made by another German firm. According to Wikipedia (I really hate having to use them), "Tiguan is a combination of the German words Tiger ("tiger") and Leguan ("iguana")." How that translates to tomatoes, I really don't know. But given when the auto model was developed and named, the tomato must have been released in the last several years.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Critique Varieties please for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
Sponsored Products
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Olio d'Olive 17 in. x
Home Depot
BEAutility Semi Flush Mount
Lightology
Glamos Wire Garden Stake - 10 Pack - 87001
$38.81 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Santa Cruz Diamond Pendant
Serena & Lily
Uttermost Rocco Ceramic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus