Plumeria HELP!

phyllisb2008(8 DFW)September 24, 2011

If anyone knows how to take cuttings HELP.The lady who swapped me this plant told me to take 6 inch pieces and then wax them off I'm not sure how to do that. I've had this plant for 3 yrs. and still no blooms so this yr. I planted in the ground and it's gotten about 4 ft. tall but no blooms.I will put back in pot before 1st. frost but would like to start another plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

You allow the end of the cutting to harden off. Just let it to dry for about a week before potting it up. You might also want to dust the cuts with a fungicide and seal the branch that you took the cutting from with caulk so that it doesn't rot. Some bathroom caulks even contain a fungicide. You should also dip the end of the cutting in rooting powder and some of those contain a fungicide as well. Now isn't the best time to start cuttings unless you want to use a seed mat to provide bottom heat. You might want to post this question on the plumeria forum. There's several knowledgeable people there that should be able to help you. There could be a lot of reasons why you are not getting blooms. Pruning your plant isn't going to solve that problem. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 6:46PM
phyllisb2008(8 DFW)

Thank you Karyn1.

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 9:11PM
john_dr(SEQLD AUST)

Hi Karyn1,

I've posted this before but repeating it it may help. I had a plumeria cutting which I was taking to my daughter in Sydney, NSW. As it was a little while before the trip I wrapped the dried cut end with damp spagnum moss and covered with a transparent plastic bag and finally secured it to the plant with an elastic band. A few weeks later when I had gotten to Sydney I unwrapped the end of the plant I noticed the roots had sprouted from the cut end and were growing into the moss. The plant was put straight into my daughter's back yard garden bed ad has never looked back flowering last summer. Perhaps an alternative method of sprouting plumeria cuttings.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 8:22PM
fallenrain02

I live in N.J. bought my plumeria plant in Hi. 4 years ago. It now has beautiful white flowers. about 4feet tall. I put it in my back bedroom for the winter but than was reading that I should not water it for the winer to kep it in a dark room. Any suggestions?? Thank you Lee

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 4:36PM
karyn1(7a)

Do you know what variety it is? Most plumerias drop their foliage and go thru a dormant period, regardless of temp, but there are evergreen plumerias that don't go dormant. P. pudica is one with white blooms that's an evergreen. It has distinctive spade shaped leaves. If you've had it for 4 years and it's doing well just keep on doing what you've been doing.

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Desert Rose leaf tips dying
I've had this desert rose (my favourite plant) for...
plantrookie
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Albuca spiralis seeds
Hello! Does anyone know from where can I get Albuca...
xylocyb
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
Soursop - seedling or grafted?
For those of you who have tasted soursop, I wanted...
cattman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™