paling lower leaves on newly outdoor tomatoes

SwampSlugMarch 19, 2013

I put these young cherry tomato plants outdoors after growing them indoors under bulbs. I hardened them off for 10 days and they reacted positively so I don't think that's the issue. I amended the soil according to the results of a sample I had analyzed. I watered them in thoroughly but haven't given them any more in the 3 days since I transplanted. The plant in the photo and 2 or 3 others in all spots of the veggie patch have this withered whitening on the lower leaves. The other dozen plants are doing fine but these few have me worried. Am I being paranoid or is there something sinister at work here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Any fertilizer as yet? If not, add it and water in well.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:16PM
SwampSlug

Hi Jean,
Yes, they have been fertilized. I took the recommended amount of organic cottonseed meal and mixed half in with the top soil before spreading it and then spread the second half after planting. It's been watered in well but my instinct is the same as yours, for whatever reason nutrients aren't getting to the plants. I don't see any rhyme or reason to why it is these particular plants but I'll give them another week or so and see if they perk up. Any idea what might be blocking the nutrients at the root end to lead to paling (it's not yellowing)?

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 10:24AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Are you saying that not all of your tomato plants show the whitish areas on the foliage,just some?.

If it were all and you garden near the coast, then I'd suggest it's the June Glooms along coastal CA starting in late March.

And to me that means one of the two Powdery Mildew fungal diseases.

Carolyn

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 1:27PM
SwampSlug

I'm living in New Orleans and only 4 of the 12 plants are showing this. I've dealt with powdery mildew before and this is not the same.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 2:14PM
barrie2m_

Cottonseed meal is a good Nitrogen source (as protein) but the plants need the Nitrate form of Nitrogen. I would suggest you wait a while for soil microbes to break-down the protein unless you are willing to use a standard fertilizer source for faster response. In the meantime the plants appear to be holding in there.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Big Beef Vs. Better Boy
Recently I was searching a tomato variety. Accidently...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
Your Favorite Black / brown Tomatoes
Per title, Mine are as follows: ==CHEROKEE PURPLE (repeat) ==...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™