Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'

Kottepalm(Stockholm, Sweden)September 16, 2013

Hi!
This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently bought a Ficus retusa 'Ginseng' and re-potted it, the plant is fine and sits in the brightest location I can give it. I have been eyeing the larger plants of this variety at IKEA but they seem to be sold out so I had to settle for a smaller one at a local florist.
Since I find the larger ones most beautiful I wanted to ask if there is anything I can do beyond general good care to increase the size of the tubers? I got it a brand new unglazed clay pot, a bit larger than the plastic pot it came in and with good rich soil.
Oh, and I realize that it would probably be better to post in the bonsai sub forum but it seems to be available only to US members (I'm in Stockholm, Sweden)
Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
halocline(5b)

I too would like to know the answer to this question. If you have ever seen a specimen grade tree of this variety you know what I mean. the "tubers" or above ground root structures are so intricate & magnificent. How do they do that?

I have seen pics where it appears the tree's are bound w/ some sort of red strap like material to manipulate them. maybe it's a trade secret... or just time.

H.

Bookmark   last Wednesday at 6:00PM
tropicbreezent

Like with any bonsai it's a combination of careful manipulation and time.

Bookmark   last Saturday at 1:50AM
halocline(5b)

Do you think the tree is raised at each re-potting?

H.

Bookmark   last Saturday at 12:42PM
tropicbreezent

Most likely yes. Most Ficus don't mind exposed roots, they usually start off from seed as an epiphyte. Fine roots would be trimmed off to give the effect you want. You should try searching for bonsai Ficus on youtube, there are a lot of videos on the subject which are helpful.

Bookmark   on Sunday at 4:01PM
More Discussions
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!! DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR...
siegel2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™