Thai Mango Varieties

marinfla(10 South Florida)April 16, 2011

If you could choose .... which 2 or 3 seeds (varieties) would you request if someone offered to bring you a few seeds back from Thailand ??? I have this offer and I choked on the answer :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Depends on what's available to him or her. Most of what they have there is already here in the US. I would be hesitant to grow just anything....unless I was very confident in the person's knowledge of mangoes.

Harry

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 2:06PM
marinfla(10 South Florida)

Harry
The only Thai mango I have is Po Pyu Kalay. That is a good point I hadn't considered. I was thinking that they would have some types there that we didn't have here already. I guess I might just as well check into what types can be purchased here already.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 2:55PM
mango_kush

Po pyu kalay is actually from Burma, it was cultivated by monks. Kalay is a district that has many Buddhist monasteries

The most popular Thai mangos, nam doc Mai, okrong, tong dam are all available here. Maybe if he comes across something unique like a large mango or mangosteen seeds

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 7:09PM
marinfla(10 South Florida)

Hi Bryan,
that is funny I thought it was Burma as Pine Island viewer has it identified that way but one of the other viewers had it as originating in Thailand and supposedly brought to Burma?? Good Idea Thanks!

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 7:36PM
jeffhagen(10B)

There is an off season pim sane mun (might be called pimsenmun twai) that I've read about. That would be an interesting find.

Jeff

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 10:40PM
mango_kush

pim san mun can be found here as well, Brahm Kai Meu is another one eaten green, also a popular variety here

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 7:35PM
jeffhagen(10B)

Yes, I have a pim sane mun. But, there is an off-season bearing clone in the same way that there is an off-season bearing nam doc mai (aka the #4).

Jeff

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 8:54PM
jeffhagen(10B)

Here's an excerpt from the article I was reading:
"Among the well-known off-season mangoes are 'Sam Ruedu' (a cultivar that bears off-season fruits) and 'Nam Dok Mai' Thawai #4, 'Phimsen Man' Thawai, 'Ok Rong' Thawai, 'Man Duean Kao Thawai' and 'Chok Anan Thawai', all of which are clones of normal-bearing mangoes."

I'd be interested in getting the Phimsen Man Thawai :-).

Jeff

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 9:15PM
James-hoon

I think I had tried the off season mangos both green and ripe ones when I was in Thailand a couple years ago around Nov-Dec. The ripe ones were okay but the green one like pim sen mun and others( eating fresh) werent very good unlike the ones in season. Juse FYI. If I were you I would go for Knong-Zang and Hua-Chang mango for green mango. The best ripe mangos I think you can find most of them here in US such as Okrong and nam doc Mai.
You know what now it is a good time to get mango seed in Thailand because it is in season right now, but as far as I know you might not get the same mango as parent from seeding.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
I'm in heaven this fine morning!
Well fellow tropical fruit growers, I am in heaven...
msmorningsong
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
Help with longan in pot
My longan in a pot which I put in the greenhouse about...
vanman23
Kesar Mango
Have you guys heard of Kesar Mango from India. I would...
mangobaby
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™