Sweet 100 vs. Super Sweet 100 vs. Sweet Million

yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)March 26, 2012

I would like sweet taste, thin skin, larger fruit that sets fruit in higher heat/humidity climates. Resists cracking is good, too. I think that may be Sweet Million but I am not sure.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
acadia78

I have grown Sweet100 for years and always find that they are prolific and tasty but somewhat crack prone if you don't pick right away. From what I've heard, Super Sweet 100 has all the taste/bounty but more hardiness and less cracking than Sweet 100. I hadn't heard of Sweet Million until now, maybe I'll plant some next year!

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 8:21PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Yum, the only way you'll have answers to your questions is to grow 2 or 3 of them in one season where you live and how you grow tomatoes, and which amendments you use and how much and when and what the weather is like in any one season, etc'

Folks will give you answers but they probably don't do things the way you do, probably don't live where you live, so their experiences are theirs and now I think it's time for you to determine what your experiences are with them.

Just my gentle suggestion. ( smile)

Carolyn

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 9:02PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

From what I've heard, Super Sweet 100 has all the taste/bounty but more hardiness and less cracking than Sweet 100.

Thanks, that is in line from what I have read elsewhere, I think I will pass on Sweet 100.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:16PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

Yum, the only way you'll have answers to your questions is to grow 2 or 3 of them in one season

I only have space for 2 really, although I have tried to squeeze a third in but then it is hard for them all to get enough sun. I like growing at least one full size tomato each season.

However, I have friends with more land and I am trying to get them to grow different varieties for me to try. The Sun Golds were a hit as long as I didn't overwater them. Took me a bit to figure that out.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:26PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

So between Super Sweet 100 and Sweet Million, are their skins both equally thick/thin if anyone knows. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:33PM
ncrealestateguy

I preferred the SS100s over the Millions, because the millions were too big for me. And the skin was a little thicker. I prefer a one or two chew cherry tomato.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 7:19AM
sautesmom

I like Sweet Million best of those 3, but then our climate doesn't have skin cracking problems. I do agree you should grow all 3 this summer and see how you rate them!

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 11:36PM
thisisme(az9b)

For more reviews you can try looking them up here. Pay attention to where each reviewer grew what as taste can be different depending on climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 12:16AM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

Thanks for the link thisisme!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 8:33PM
inlikeflint

I have had good luck with Sweet Millions in 111+ degree temperatures with humidity. They were probably one of the only tomato plants out of 30 that produced tomatoes because of the high heat.

I prefer sweet millions over sweet 100 because of the amount of tomatoes it produces. However, this year so far seems like they are slow to produce or someone sold me Sweet 100's and called them Sweet Millions. (You get crazy conspiracy thoughts running though your head when your tomato plants are slow.) One of the best places I grew the Sweet millions plant was under a pine tree with a cold compost soil amendment into heavy clay. The plant went nuts and produced more tomatoes than I have ever seen off of one plant. It was nearly 10 feet tall before the branches started to break in high winds.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Is it worth planting, Azoychka Russian?
I ordered seeds last year and the seller included a...
nhardy
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
How long for seeds to germinate?
Had a few hard to get seeds this year that have not...
anthony_toronto
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™