Multi-Grafted Avocado and Maprang seeds

murahilin(10 fl)April 11, 2010

I recently grafted an avocado seedling with 6 different varieties of avocados to extend the season on one tree. A friend of my moms only had space for one tree and had a seedling in a pot so I decided to multi graft it for him. I can not remember all the varieties and the ink I labeled the budwood with washed off.

One's already flowering.

The only side veneer I did.

The rest were clefts.

This one is still alive but it hasn't budded out yet.

I ordered 2 sets of maprang(Bouea macrophylla) seeds online. One from Hawaii(www.fruitlovers.com) and one from Malaysia(http://myworld.ebay.com/seedsgarden/). The Hawaiian ones came from a wan maprang tree. Not sure if it was the same 'Wan' that Whitman grew or just a generic sweet maprang from Thailand. The other seeds from Malaysia were just a sweet/sour type.

Malaysia seeds.

After I dehusked a few. Notice the purple colour.

Hawaiian seeds. These came already sprouted with roots.

After two days planted it has already pushed up its first set of leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Great pictures....thanks. Nice job on the avocado. I.ve done six on an avocado, but it was on a huge tree and in multiple places for each cultivar. You obviously have much better grafting skill than I do. It will be interesting to see how this many grafts on a tree that small is managed. Where is your Mom's friend's place?

Harry

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 6:53PM
murahilin(10 fl)

Thanks Harry. I think I just got lucky with this tree this time though. How is the tree you grafted doing now? Is it in your yard? I hope the person I graft it for keeps the grafts managed and doesn't let any of the rootstock grow. My mom's friends place is in Wellington.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 7:42PM
ohiojay(z6 OH)

Cool pics. The ultimate Frankenstein plant!

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 7:48PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Sorry to say, mine is dead and is now a stand for dragonfruit. It was a 40 foot tree at one time. Hurricane Andrew wrecked the tree the first time, but it recovered. I put the grafts on after the tree was hacked back after the storm. Then Hurricane Wilma hit it with the knock out punch. It never recovered after that although it tried by spouting from the original rootstock. The avocado tree was on the property when I bought it...one of the few trees that pre-dated me. It was probably planted out in the late 1970's. I had put Lula, Pollack, Loretta, Simmonds, Monroe, and one of the Towers....can't remember which now. All fruited eventually, but even on a large tree it was diffcult to manage and not allow one to over grow the other cultivar.

Harry

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 10:05PM
red_sea_me

Great job with the grafting, 6 on one with all of them taking.

-Ethan

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 11:01PM
mango_kush

wow, cool. i have a seedling avocado growing in a neighbors yard, it will be my practice graft tree.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 10:44AM
murahilin(10 fl)

Jay,
Thanks.

Harry,
I think I had grafted a lula and monroe onto this tree also. I am not a fan of multi grafted trees for the exact reason you mentioned. Too hard to keep one from out growing the other.

Ethan,
Thanks. I am still waiting for that one last one to bud though. I'm hoping it doesn't die before then.

mango,
Avocados are very easy to graft. It's a good tree to learn with.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 1:14PM
SoCALivan

I have a grafted dwarf Reed avocado thats about 5 feet tall, today we grafted on to it HASS, HOLIDAY and BACON. i have pics i just dont know how to load them on to here! Well in 3 or 4 weeks i will be taking off the wrap to see if it stuck!

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™