Best boy Hybrid

blueheron(z6 PA)March 17, 2009

I moved to a smaller place in October and I want to try growing vegetables in containers. I bought a Burpee Patio Vegetable Garden packet of 4 different seeds for containers - Best Boy Hybrid tomato, Spacemaster cucumber, Heatwave Blend lettuce and Mammoth basil.

I never grew tomatoes in a container before and I was wondering just how much I will have to stake these tomato plants. The tomatoes grow to 8-oz. What kind of a stake do you use for a container that doesn't get topheavy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulio

Switch the center of gravity by making the bottom heavy. I place old weights from a weight set in the bottom of the pot. A heavy rock will also do. Weebles wobble but they dont fall down.

For a stake a 1x2 or 2x2 from the hardware store should work fine.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 10:34PM
blueheron(z6 PA)

Thanks. I will try that.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 11:49AM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

You can also drive a steel fencepost or similar into the ground next to your deck or patio. Then set the container right next to it and then tie the container to the post at the bottom. Then tie the plant to the stake too.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 4:32PM
robynpa(5/6 Pgh)

Blueheron,

If you see this post let me know how your seeds from the Burpee Patio Vegetable Garden packet are doing. I bought the same packet and planted the seeds last Sat.

My lettuce has sprouted and I direct sow the seed in a container outdoors. I started the Best Boy in a peat pot inside by the window and some just sprouted today. Nothing yet on the cucs or basil which are both outside in containers.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Southern Belle Tomato
I am searching for history on the Southerne Belle tomato....
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
Best short season tomato varieties?
I would like to make sure I am harvesting ripe tomatoes...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Big Beef Vs. Better Boy
Recently I was searching a tomato variety. Accidently...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™