Raspberry Red Shrimp Plant?

mecontusOctober 5, 2008

On a trip to Florida last year, I saw a beautiful Justicia--it was low, bushy, had erect spikes of dark raspberry-red bracts with a few small white to pale-pink flowers peeping out. It reminded me of a juicy red Pachystachys (lutea)! Just recently I finally found a picture of it on a tropicals website, and imagine my surprise it's listed as Justicia brandegeana "Red Shrimp Plant". Only problem is the J. brandegeana I know has those lax, curled, furry tan-pinkish or lime green bracts that look like .. well.. fleshy shrimps. It is not the same plant!

Can anyone tell me the difference between Justicia brandegeana 'Red Shrimp Plant' and the common J. brandegeana/beloperone/guttata? Anybody have a suggestion on where can I get my 'Red Shrimp Plant' with the upright raspberry-red spikes and stay away from the bucket o'shrimps? lol

I can't mention or link to the site here on Gardenweb but I can e-mail a picture if you think you might know it..

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

I grow it in my flower bed - very pretty. Sorry, but I don't know the 'difference'.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 6:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mecontus

Hi Kay. I'm not too familiar with shrimp plants. It was so unusual in appearance, it was hard to tell if it was the same species at first. But after some research, I reckon it comes down to a 'difference' in varieties. I just found one called J. b. 'Mutant' at a nursery here in California that is the same or at least close to it. Thanks..

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
gribbleton
Finally, it has bloomed!
After eight or more years, this heliconia has bloomed....
shuffles_gw
Brown edges on leaves
My White Bat Plant's leaves are turning brown. What...
copanolady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™