dragon fruit (redish ooze?)

jardinerowaApril 16, 2013

Hello,

I planted some dragon fruit cuttings I got from a neighbor couple weeks ago and had used rooting hormone with a very light perlity mix. One pot got knocked over by wind and I was potting back up when I noticed that the botting of the cutting was all red and oozy. Like somehow the rooting hormone reacted with the moist cutting and created this chili-paste-looking thing. Has anyone seen this?
It's not rot yet, and there are little roots now coming out but the redness makes me worry. Thanks.
Z

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soaht(Central CA 9B)

Don't really know what that red ooze is, but if it's not rotting and already showing signs of roots forming it should be fine. You should have probably let the cuttings dry/ heal/ form a scaffold, then plant. But that isn't always necessary. Once they are well rooted and start growing they will really take off. If you want fruit faster build a trellis or a Vietnamese T-tree(most common way they are grown), if not you can let them climb tree stomps/ dead tree , but with this method they won't likely fruit till they reach the top and hang over.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 4:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jardinerowa

Thanks for the picture! That's exactly how I want to train the dragon fruit. I didn't know that having that way actually made it flower earlier. That is cool.
It is already rooting so maybe the rooting hormone and the juice of the cutting mixed and caused the redness. I'll watch it and hopefully it will be OK. Thanks.
Z

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
Growing Papaya Tree in Socal
HI all, just went to the backyard this morning and...
tydiggy0628
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
Sugar Apple Leaf Problem
Hello all; can you tell what is the issue with my Sugar...
BahamaDan ZTropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™