Amazon lily (eucharis) - need advice

fgilles02420(z6 MA)October 24, 2007

Hello-

I bought an Amazon Lily (Eucharis) this summer and left it outside in shade. Now I've brought it in for the winter and would like it to bloom.

I've read here that you need to restrict watering and force dormany. Do I restrict watering so much that the leaves fall off? How long should I withhold it? Cool temps as well? I put my clivia in the basement near a dim window for two months for their "dormancy" and ignore them - but they don't lose leaves.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hello, just having a browse and wondered what 'Eucharis' looked like, so did a Google and came up with some info which may be of some use.....see the link below. Hope it helps somewhat.
Gill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucharis info

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 10:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
That looks like good advice. I grow them in the shadehouse under the other stuff but have no luck in the yard.. They remain evergreen as it says so reduce but don't stop water . Treating it like the Clivia should be good.
Cooler temps would be good also but avoid frost. They seem to bloom after heavy rains without regard to the seasons. at least for me. In your case when new growth started i'd increase the water and light which would probably be easiest in spring?? gary

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 4:52AM
More Discussions
HAVE: for trade
I have close to 2000 different kinds of tropicals for...
Angel_Hawk1975
Soursop - seedling or grafted?
For those of you who have tasted soursop, I wanted...
cattman
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Pineapple suckers
Maybe 16-18 months old. Last Fall(?) I got 5 pups around...
Richard (chuggerguy)
Broadleaf Tropical Indoor Plant ID Help
There is a picture of a large leaf plant, it appears...
Brett Reilly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™