Repotting Bougainvillea

Warren8(8)October 16, 2006

I inherited this variegated Bougie recently and it is planted in pure yard clay. When would be a good time to repot? Should I wash all the clay off the roots? ItÂs been in this clay for a decade or longer. The plant itself looks fine though I was told it hasnÂt bloomed this year and since I got it home, it seems to be staying to wet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Most Bougs are going into dormancy if they haven't already..I'd wait until spring, and if need be, repot to 1-2 sizes larger pot w/well-draining soil. Bougs do not like wet feet, Warren. (Like most plants) Be careful watering this winter..Only do so when soil feels completely dry..Toni

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 8:29PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

I agree. Wait until the spring. Bougs will grow in just about any dirt ( though they flower better with some Potassium) but they do resent being moved in the winter.

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 11:56PM
susan30813

When is the latest to safely repot (or plant in ground)? I just bought two large lovely baskets, but they are root-bound. Is it better to wait until the spring?

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 12:28AM
harrellpn(San Antonio,TX)

I am in Z8 and mine are still blooming, not into to dormancy yet here, they are blooming everywhere, Mine if covered do well until late Nov or early december, they are in the ground,

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 3:43AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

You can wait till spring if you want to. Bougies don't mine being potbound at all and I find that they will bloom better that way. Once you repot they will start putting out roots and not bloom as good the first year. Mine usually bloom the best in fall anyways.
I would pot up only a size or two to make sure they have excellent drainage.
~SJN

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
Brown edges on leaves
My White Bat Plant's leaves are turning brown. What...
copanolady
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Strelitzia reginae
I'm growing a strelitzia in a container in a sunny...
charles27gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™