best combos for sauce/paste?

Mindyw3(5)March 20, 2012

Ive been reading that its usually good to mix another tom with paste types because the paste toms can be bland on their own. Does anyone do this and if so what are good combos youve tried?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It isn't so much a specific combo as ANY combo. Whatever varieties you happen to be growing. If you are growing only 3 or 4 varieties then mix them all. If growing 30 different varieties then it's even better. :)

I've made some great sauce using San Marzano, Beefsteak, Brandywine, Eva Purple Ball, German Strawberry, NAR, Opalka, Sun Gold, etc. well you get the idea. The more the varieties, the more complex the flavor.

Dave

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 9:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Most of my tomato friends switched from using just paste tomatoes many years ago b'c the taste of most of them, with some exceptions, is not great, they're more susceptible to BER ( blossom end rot) as well as Early Blight ( A. solani)

I could list the paste varieties that I think have great taste if you want me to but I also know that there are many many threads here already with those suggestions.

When choosing what to use to add to paste tomatoes for sauce I strongly suggest using as many heart varieties as you can b'c they have dense flesh and few seeds and great taste/ And also dense fleshed beefsteak varieties for the same reasons.

Carolyn

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 1:05AM
More Discussions
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
How long for seeds to germinate?
Had a few hard to get seeds this year that have not...
anthony_toronto
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™