soil testing question

woohoomanApril 22, 2014

Just got a Kona Sharwil Avocado tree.

I've read that they like it around a ph of around 6 and I'm pretty sure I'm up there around 7 or more, so I'm going to get it tested professionally.

From the pic I drew with my fine artistic skills in MSPaint, here's a cross section of the plot. The DG and Clay is native and the top fill is 40 year old top fill that been amended many times off and on over those 40 years. Where should I take the samples from since the tree will be growing about half and half in the native and the fill? How deep should I take from? Should I take a bit of the native and a bit of the fill and mix together equally half by volume or weight prior to sending off for testing?

Thanks.

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Most of the feeder roots will be in the top of the soil, so if it's mainly for that plant you're doing it then that's the place to take the sample from. Years back I did a soil test, advice was to take soil from about a dozen places, mix it thoroughly, and then take the sample out of that. It was a large area, hence so many different collection spots. It made me wonder about how accurate the test could be. The best method is to get a leaf test. That shows you what the plant is able to access.

If it's purely a pH test you need, remember you should probably test the water you give the plant as well.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 1:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woohooman

Thanks tropicalbreezent.

Well, the guy I talked to yesterday said 18" since it was a 15 gallon. Have no idea why that would make a difference.

Yeah. It's pretty much just a main concern for this tree. I know from the home kits, it's up there. and my muni water is at 8.1 according to the district guy I talked to.

If it was just for normal veggies, it wouldn't concern me so much. Most veggies like slightly acidic also, but not down to 6 like the avocado, from what I've read. Not to mention, I would just hate to make the investment in the tree(money and time) and 5 years later, it's suffering and crap harvests.

Kevin

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Avocados for zone 3?
Please see below for my question.
loneroc1
Lara Farms Nursery??
Anyone familiar with this Florida nursery that can...
ohiojay
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Maridol Papaya with large fruit growing in Hayward/SF bay area.
Grows On You.com has a photo posted by "Delonix" of...
stanofh
My Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) in SoCal
Here was my Dragon Fruit plants in Pots back in May....
enocchen
Sponsored Products
Glide Glass Linear Suspension
Lightology
DMX512 Pixel Decoder
EnvironmentalLights.com
Josslyn Mini Pendant by Quoizel
$219.99 | Lumens
Gervin Leather U-Chaise Sectional - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
61" Berne Double Vanity - Cherry
Signature Hardware