Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)

davissue_zone9(z9 Sunset 14)October 28, 2005

Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and fell into immediate plant lust. Anyone know where I could find a source?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Primitive_Dave(z10 L.A. CA)

I don't know if these people can help you, but you might give them a try. They are from Ecuador, and have mostly orchids on their website, but they do have other plants. They might have access to what you're looking for, since I noticed a specimen collected in Peru. They will ship from Ecuador, but they will also bring your order to orchid shows here in the US -- they will ship from there if they aren't going to be at a show you can get to. Also, you might ask at the botanical garden if they propigate and can release cuttings, etc. Or even better, volunteer and get to know the curator. I've gotten things from a local botanical garden because my mom is a volunteer. It never hurts to try!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ecuagenera

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 4:04PM
ARAD(10USDA/25SUNSET)

When grows larger, to about 12-15 ft. it doesn't look that attractive anymore, although is an interesting plant.Is a tropical plant which won't survive outside in Dallas. There is one at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden in Miami, FL. but it hardly ever sets seeds. I'm looking for one myself, but is almost impossible to find it.

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 8:55PM
popper1(10a)

I know this post is really old (remember seeing it yrs ago, made me want the plant) but Wow! Talk about price differences. Saw one of these on a popular tropical plant website for $130!! Saw one on a popular auction site starting at $20. The more expensive one is 3', but I have one too and it grows like a weed. Must be hard to germinate or something to make them so rare.

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 10:40AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
If anybody is still looking . Gardinos has them in their current catalog gary

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 6:02AM
TOG-Tacoma

If anybody is still looking, Logee's and another company banned from this site both have it.

Bookmark   February 7, 2015 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!! DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR...
siegel2
gribbleton
Finally, it has bloomed!
After eight or more years, this heliconia has bloomed....
shuffles_gw
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™