Apparently Phyto Certificates aren't good enough anymore...

bihai(zone 9)October 8, 2008

I recently purchased 2 gingers from a seller in Puerto Rico who I have dealt with before. Owns a licensed inspected nursery there, sends Phytos with all his stuff.

My package was shipped from PR last Friday.

When it got to the mainland, the USDA decided to hold it and open it "for inspection" in spite of the fact that the Phyto Cert was clearly present and accessible on the box.

Not only was my shipment delayed by 1-2 days, they did a poor job of repacking the box. Fortunately nothing was damaged.

Just a word of caution. Big Brother IS watching! This is the first time this has ever happened to me with a shipment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Phyto certs have never meant that customs won't inspect a shipment. My DH is in the wholesale floral business and most of his inventory goes through customs. Everything he imports has proper documentation but customs arbitrarily checks shipments. I have no idea what they are doing though, probably checking for drugs. They regularly receive boxes containing lizards, frogs and sometimes insects. All the wholesale flower companies do. Isn't that what customs is supposed to be checking for????

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™