Droopy Tropical Hibiscus Tree :(

gardenlady48(z5 IL)October 13, 2012

Can anyone tell me what to do here: this tree form hibiscus was planted in the ground, live in Illinois so had to pot it up and bring inside. Been droopy from day one. Not sure what to do. Should I just leave it alone...OR prune back all the limbs in hopes that it will generate new sprouts and perform beautiful next spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vp_78

Hello there - try this link - http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

There's a section on overwintering tropical hibiscus.

But hopefully you'll get a little more info here on overwintering steps, as well.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:20PM
gardenlady48(z5 IL)

Thank you Nika. I learned so much already looking at the link . If I had only known this earlier. :(

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 9:35PM
tropicbreezent

Looks like you've damaged the root system to the point it can't support the plant. About the only thing you can do is to prune it now and hope the rest recovers. It's very easily grown from cuttings, so you could try that with the off cuts. Just put them some rooting powder and then in sand and keep moist in a warm place. I've often done it with cuttings and get a reasonable success rate.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 11:19PM
butterfly4u

gardenlady,
When you dug it up out of the ground,did you wash the roots off real good before potting it up in POTTING soil?
You changed mediums right? You didn't put it in potting soil with the ground soil still on the roots?
It doesnt' look too good, I would cut the branches off and root them in potting soil, as has been suggested.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:22AM
keylyn

tropical hibiscus do have extensive root system so damaging the roots prior to transplanting is to be expected. though they are very easy to transplant if the weather permits, and if you can provide an artificial source of warmth.
i'm afraid that the only thing you can do is salvage the plant and make cuttings off it before it's too late.
cheer up and don't give up! :)

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 11:42AM
delreytropical(6)

Hi! I live in illinios as well, that looks like the same one I got from Pesche awhile back!, I too brought mine inside. in the beginning it dropped a couple leaves that turned yellow, however it still looks green to me. This could be a water issue, that hibiscus looks very dry also it could be sunlight too. I would suggest taking a couple cuttings--with wood and try to get those going, also inspect the condition of the the inside of the plant, this will tell you alot if its alive or healthy. Cant wait to here from you!

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Can you help me ID this vine/climber?
Hello, I got this plant last year from a very lovely...
dubai-gardener
Desert Rose leaf tips dying
I've had this desert rose (my favourite plant) for...
plantrookie
Pineapple suckers
Maybe 16-18 months old. Last Fall(?) I got 5 pups around...
Richard (chuggerguy)
Need help identifying this plant
Hi! I have this long flowering plant with orange yellow...
audreydychua
Identify this plant, please
Anyone know this plants name? (not the fire bush on...
paynerobin
Sponsored Products
Melissa and Doug Basset Hound Plush - 4866
$40.17 | Hayneedle
Edushape Puppy Slide Flute - HL378
$19.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™