Calla lily ( Zantedeschia)

ifraser25(z11 Brazil)October 11, 2013

How much shade will Calla Lily tolerate without affecting the flowering? Our climate is generally pretty sunny.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

I'm surprised that Calla will grow there, it doesn't do any good here.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 5:19PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Have that problem with callas . Start out well and then tend to waste away over the seasons.. Guess they require a cool/cold rest period as they are quite common to the north of me Similar reaction from Dahlias ,Agapanthus ,hardy orchids gary

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 3:18AM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Many "cooler" species ie. Dahlia, Agapanthus, Indian Azalea, and Camellia do well here. Fuchsia is on the limit. It flowers but not profusely. I think the altitude (1000m, 3000ft) is the main factor. I have never tried Callas before but they are really easy to grow from seed and I have a couple of dozen fist-sized plants, so I thought I would give it a shot. I'm told they need rich, moist soil, which we do not have, but I'm preparing an area specially. No-one is answering my question however, how much shade...?

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 10:34AM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Many "cooler" species ie. Dahlia, Agapanthus, Indian Azalea, and Camellia do well here. Fuchsia is on the limit. It flowers but not profusely. I think the altitude (1000m, 3000ft) is the main factor. I have never tried Callas before but they are really easy to grow from seed and I have a couple of dozen fist-sized plants, so I thought I would give it a shot. I'm told they need rich, moist soil, which we do not have, but I'm preparing an area specially. No-one is answering my question however, how much shade...?

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 10:53AM
alisonoz_gw

Not too much shade or you'll get all leaves and no flowers. Bright filtered light at worst. I'm near Brisbane, east coast Australia, they don't do well for me near the coast due to the summer heat and humidity, and being attacked by both boring insects and fungal disease. They do better at slightly higher altitude in the hinterland hills here - probably similar to you (fuschias, helebores, hosta do fine up there but fail down here). I had a friend growing them fine in Gramada - but he had quite cold winters and found it necessary to lift them - they have to be dried off perfectly before storing, and treated, to avoid disease.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 1:32AM
realityfaery

My Callas love the sun, too much shade like I have done to my colored Callas and I get no flowers, just leaves. If you want them to flower give them sun, they love it. They can take a little shade though.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™