Mangoes - Polyembryonic source?

waldieOctober 29, 2010

I want to plant some mango seeds but have been unable to determine which varieties are polyembryonic. If I buy a mango at the grocery store is there a way to tell by looking at the seed? If not, how do I go about finding mangoes with the right kind of seeds? I live in Washington State so there are no mangoes available at fruit stands, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heroictenor

Usually the Southeast Asian varieties-(like Nam Doc Mai)are polyembrionic; these are rather elongated fruits
Unfortunately,and as far as I know- the Indian derivatives (rounded in shape) like Tommy Atkins, dominate the markets and you would be wasting your time with them.
You may find -occasionally -the other varieties and try, but if so, you may need to use a warmed greenhouse for the winter and early spring.(??)
You would be better off-I think-by ordering some grafted trees of the small sized varieties and keep them in containers.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 1:48AM
swrancher

Atalafo Mangos, which are sold as either "Champagne" or "Honey" mangos are a polyembronic variety. You can normally find them at "Whole Foods" and similar stores in the spring.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 5:37PM
john_dr(SEQLD AUST)

Hi Waldie,

I don't know if this helps. Most Australian mangoes are polyembryonic. The main types are Bowen and R2E2. If you can find these Mangoes where you live then they will be ok for planting and come true to type. When you have sprouted the pit there will be several shoots. Let them grow on for a while then select the strongest by cutting the others off.

Hope this helps,

John

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 5:44PM
mango_kush

mangos from Asian are Polyembryonic and often planted by seed in central America and Asia, thus many Asian varieties like Phillipine/Ataulfo have several varying seedling strains.

All Indian varieties are Monoembryonic thus only propagated through grafting.

Many Florida cultivars are crosses, from my experience the ones that are more Asian like generally do come true from seed like Rosigold, the Indian like varieties such as Carrie or Julie do not.

Its very easy to distinguish and Asian type from an Indian type

Indian mangos on left Asian on right

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 2:33PM
waldie

Wow! Thanks for all the help. The only ones I've seen in this neck of the woods look like the Indian variety. I'll definitely watch carefully in the spring.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 12:42AM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Have you tried looking in the Hispanic supermarkets? They also go by the name 'Manila' here in California.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 3:16AM
mango_kush

i can mail you some in a flat rate box this season for $5, email me in about 6 months if you are still interested

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 10:58AM
everettsky(11)

Waldie, if you live around Seattle (or west coast WA) you will usually find no shortage of Altaufo, Champagne, or Manila mangoes in many Asian/Hispanic grocery stores and farmers markets. It is known by different names because of marketing ploys, but they are almost identical strains of the same type. They are polyembryonic and origins are traced back to the Indochinese/Philippine types of mangoes. While living in western WA, I found them at "Ranch 99" grocery store even during winter, as they were flown in from tropical regions of Mexico.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 1:06PM
brandon1971

Polyembryonic seed 1/2 photo.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 3:41PM
brandon1971

Second 1/2 of photo. List of polyembryonic mango seeds.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Jasminum sambac Mali chat
Does anyone has ever seen Jasminum Sambac Mali chat...
bunti
Soursop - seedling or grafted?
For those of you who have tasted soursop, I wanted...
cattman
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Albuca spiralis seeds
Hello! Does anyone know from where can I get Albuca...
xylocyb
Coffee plants
Just took a close look at the two coffee trees in the...
apg4
Sponsored Products
Natural Mango Kitchen Board
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Uttermost Lachlan Console Table with Drawer - Mahogany - 25576
$767.80 | Hayneedle
Large Chloe Hurricane Candleholder
$79.99 | zulily
Arteriors Home - Henson Wood / Iron Swivel Counter Stool - 6535
Great Furniture Deal
Home Decorators Collection Cushions Dolce Mango Sunbrella Montauk Adirondack
$75.00 | Home Depot