Starting seeds late... in cactus mix?

jenn(SoCal 9/19)March 29, 2012

I put off starting our tomatoes indoors and here it is almost April and still no seeds started! I'm planning to do this tomorrow using materials we already have.

We have some OSH Cactus mix, and also some good potting mix, perlite, and peat moss. I would like to use the Cactus mix because it's already mixed; it contains perlite, compost, and some other ingredients.

Is that a suitable mix to start tomatoes? Or should I mix some of the potting mix with a lot of perlite? Which is best, and why?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Not enough info to give you a good answer. Given the info I have to say use the "good potting mix" but without knowing exactly what brand it is and how old and how it has been stored there is no way to know for sure.

Most all approved seed starting mixes are sterile and contain nothing more than peat, perlite or vermiculite, a wetting agent, and a bit of lime to balance the pH. "Other ingredients" and especially compost or soil are NOT recommended for seed starting because they have decreased germination, poor drainage, increase the odds of damp-off, algae development, and other potential pests and diseases.

You'll find more info on this over on the Growing from Seed forum here.

Dave

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™