Scared my Lady Di Heliconia right out of the ground

mr_tlcOctober 11, 2010

I was at a plant show at USF in Tampa over the weekend.... I am just getting started in my gardening and learning more and more every day. I had recently purchased a Lady Di Heliconia from a local store and planted it and was very excited as it already had flowers and looked great... fast forward back to the show. One of the vendors told me that this is one of the most invasive Heliconias you can get, spreading out of control, shooting up new plants 10' from the mother plant. I went home and dug mine up and put it in a pot. Did I overreact, or is this really as bad as he said?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachlily z9a

Yes, the vendor is right. Muy heliconias were in an area bordered by the house on one side and a curved sidewalk on the other. When I pulled mine out they had roots 5 layers deep! I didn't know of the problem, so was very lucky they were contained.

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 4:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Yes, get a less invasive type. I have one that has not spread more than a couple of feet in 3 years. I think it is a natural species, Heliconia rostrata, but there some smaller than this.

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™