Harvested June Plum in PA

ch3rri(z6 PA)May 1, 2010

Today I decided to harvest my dwarf june plum. The total weight of my harvest is 1 lb 7 oz. This taste very similar to the big june plum. The fruit is sour and crisp. The dwarf june plum is not as crisp as the big one but still good. A lot better when eaten with the sauce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvested June Plum

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nguyenty(9, Los Angeles)

what sauce ? Shrimp paste / chili salt ? And do you brine them also ?

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 2:40AM
yaslan(8 WA state)

Wow, I think it's fantastic that you got your june plum to set fruit! Did you get your tree from pine island?
During wintertime, did you use a grow light? Do you think growing a container mango would need the same requirements as your june plum? I look forward to reading your blog on what technique you used (on your tropical fruit trees). Thanks for posting pics and reminding those of us who don't live in hotter weather, that it's indeed very possible to grow tropical fruits.

Happy Tropical Fruit Growing!

Bo

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 12:41PM
red_sea_me

congrats on the harvest Ch3rri,
dwarf ambarella has such an interesting taste, though I do like it more ripe, much more mango/pineapple taste.

thanks for posting,
-Ethan

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 1:17PM
ch3rri(z6 PA)

Bo, I planted all my june plum from seeds. They are 2 years old now. Actually, they started to fruit when they were just 1 year old. They are very easy to grow. But they are more cold sensitive than most tropical when young. Just take them inside when the weather is lower than 60F.

The mango might be easier but then they will be a larger tree. I did not use any grow light for my tropicals this year since they stay in the morning room during winter.

I just use miracle grow potting soil with some peat moss, perlite, and slow release fertilizer for all my tropical trees. Nothing special. They all doing fine with this soil. For larger trees with stronger roots and more leaves then I use less peat moss since I don't want the soil to dry up too fast.

Nguyent- I do use the Shrimp paste / chili for the larger june plum. But I didn't want to share that recipe since I don't want to scare people away...LOL

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 4:01PM
ThuyHieu

Hi Ch3rri, thanks for the great info about June Plum, would you please teach me how to plant by seeds? thanks so much

Thuy

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
Lara Farms Nursery??
Anyone familiar with this Florida nursery that can...
ohiojay
I'm in heaven this fine morning!
Well fellow tropical fruit growers, I am in heaven...
msmorningsong
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Papaya wasp help
I'm on the Fla Treasure Coast and my papaya tree /...
tcgardener
Sponsored Products
Herman Miller | EamesĀ® Lounge Chair
YLiving.com
Area Rug: Harlequin Dark Plum 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Lights Up! Woody Pickled Faux Bois Shade Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Harvest Log Cabin Queen Quilt
$207.95 | Bellacor
Catskill 14-Inch Lazy Susan with Lip - 1214
$43.50 | Hayneedle
Orange Designer Pumpkin
Grandin Road
Addison Purple Sham - Euro
Crane and Canopy
nuLOOM Handmade Alexa Eco Natural Fiber Cotton Border Jute Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™