Guesses as to where this garden is?

bahia(SF Bay Area)November 4, 2012

I like to create garden scenes that transport one to another world, or to pretend one is in a tropical resort somewhere. This garden I designed had the benefit of some large mature plants as backdrop before the patio and fountain were installed. This home as an interesting history, as it was once a speakeasy during the prohibition years, and this garden area was the original front entry and driveway to the house. Any guesses as to where the garden is located?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Tropical Patio

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Oakland, CA?

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 10:36AM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

Uh, you realize your tag for the picture includes the location?

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 2:25PM
ianbrazil(11)

Okay San Francisco. It's fun to grow "exotic" plants though. San Francisco's twin in South America is Chile, not Bahia, you naughty boy, and a lot of stuff like fuschias, alstroemeria and sternbergia will do very well there. - Ian.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:11PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Ian, maybe climate wise you are correct about Chile and San Francisco having more similarities, but look at the things Bahia and San Francisco share: on a peninsula with a huge bay and ocean frontage, each pointed towards their appropriate polar extreme. Very hilly topography with lots of old buildings in certain neighborhoods,(while Salvador's old is several times older than our oldest adobe or Victorian), a reputation as a place for artists, musicians, eccentrics of all flavors to be accepted and appreciated. A reputation as a desired place to live and/or vacation by the rest of the country. Street parties envied throughout the rest of the world, although the San Francisco festivities of our annual Bay to Breakers city-wide foot race, our local Carnival and Halloween certainly pale in comparison to Festas do Largo and Carnaval in Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos. San Francisco is also an ethnic mixing pot as is Salvador, just the percentages and mixes are a bit different in both.

So I'll continue in my firm belief that Salvador and San Francisco are sister cities in a fun-house mirror sort of way, and we have little in common culturally with buttoned up cultures such as Chile and Santiago, which geographically and climatically is a better matchup. But this comparison doesn't appeal to my saudades pro Bahia!

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 1:46PM
venezuela(venezuela)

yes it does take you to some spot in a tropical clime.. beautiful Bahia.... As I always see garden designers in other climates often make tropical gardens more tropical than real ones...at least when the tropics has a long dry season like down here. It is our interpretation of what the tropics is that we create. love it!

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™