Cherimoya from seed with 1st and only flower

tydiggy0628May 28, 2014

Woohoo! My cherimoya finally has its first flower about 2 months ago after 4-5 years (from seed). It took a few weeks for the flower to be at the female stage. using a pollen from a full grown cherimoya tree, i hand pollinated that flower and guess what? look...success!!! i am really excited to see how big the fruit will get and to see how it taste like. i will post some more pics once it starts to grow bigger.

bad thing is, so far, it is the only flower that the tree produces. i am hoping that it can produce more flowers so that i can get more fruits. anyone know what i can do to get more flowers?

This post was edited by tydiggy0628 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 18:40

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sapote(10a)

Congratulations!!! It's a Boy!!! Really it's a fruit, not flower. It looks so healthy I would bet it will stay and you will have a delicious one in October.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 3:47PM
veggie_girl

Nice, how big is the tree at that age?

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 8:55PM
tydiggy0628

i think it has been 4-5 years. the fruit is getting slightly bigger now. i am just wondering what i can do to get the tree to produce more flowers!

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 6:35PM
sapote(10a)

One fruit is not enough and now you want more?

Ok here I would do: just before a new grow flush after the cold Winter, cut off about 6" the tip of all horizontal and pointed down branches and strip off all the leaves. Cut off all the vertical branches since they rarely produce any flowers and fruits. The tree will send out tons of flowers in the Spring.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 9:18PM
tydiggy0628

Thanks sapote, i will try that next time around Feb/Mar. do u have any pics of your tree? Please share

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™