Watering Experiment

tim45z10March 23, 2012

If I were to dig down a foot or so and bury a pie tin, would this be of any benefit?

Tim

Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sorry Tim but I can't make heads or tails out of such limited info. Benefit to what? For what? Can you explain exactly what you are talking about and why? What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Dave

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 1:31PM
tim45z10

I am trying to use it to capture water as it drains. Maybe this would allow me to use less water.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 1:02PM
Bets(z6A S ID)

Since this is a tomato forum, I'm assuming that you have sandy soil and want to increase the water retention for your tomato plants. I can see some problems with your assumption.

First, in ground tomatoes usually have huge root systems, much deeper than "a foot or so" and definitely wider than the 9 or 10 inches of a pie pan.

Second the water capacity of a pie tin that is filled with sand (or soil) would not be significant.

So....

Amend your soil. Lots of compost and organic matter will help with water retention. You could even work in some of those water absorbing/releasing crystals. Add more compost and organic matter. It helps sandy soils retain water and heavy soils that don't drain well to drain better.

I hope that helps.

Betsy

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 2:02PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with Betsy. Consider these facts. First water doesn't drain straight down. It diffuses. So you'd likely catch less than 1/4 of the water added in the pan. Plus the pan would be full of soil so even less water would go into it.

Second you are assuming the plant roots would go straight down into the pan. They don't grow that way as Betsy said.

Third, a pie pan, even if it was full of water, is nothing to an established tomato plant.

Sorry but your plan, as you have described it so far, just won't work in any way.

If you have something else in mind then you will have to provide a great many more details. Minimal info provided tends to get minimal responses.

Dave

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Container size for tomatos
I'm considering some of the larger tomato plants. How...
jrh02139
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Pinetree Garden Seed Company for Cuostralee
Is Pinetree Garden Seed a reliable source for tomato...
matthias_lang
Sponsored Products
Oxford Thermostatic Shower Set With 18" Arching Shower Arm - 1/2" IPS
Signature Hardware
Lights Up! CanCan Green Ginko Shade Adjustable Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Cilindro Plisse Drum Pendant by ModoLuce
$847.00 | Lumens
Dazzling Poppies Outdoor Canvas Art
Grandin Road
Camfora 3 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso White
$799.00 | LexMod