Angie mango

hmhausman(FL 10B)May 24, 2011

Sorry for no picture....but I had my first Angie mango this morning. It was found on the ground, pecked by a bird on one side. It had a very nice yellow background color with a distinctive pink blush over the top 1/3 of the fruit. It was firm, fiberless, fragrant and really nicely flavored. I would give it a big "thumbs up!" Looks like the Fairchild curators got one right for a change. Growth habit is supposed to be semi-dwarf. I cannot confirm this at this point as my tree is small. But this looks like a real winner. And, I would have to say that I would expect nothing less since this fruit is named after Bill Whitman's wife.

Harry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MangoDoc

Thanks Harry for the input.

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 2:18PM
adiel

Good to hear that Harry! How would you compare it to a Dot, Edward or Cushman?

Adiel

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 2:37PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Hurray! Thanks for the wonderful description Harry. I bought one last year after much deliberating over what kind to get. So great to hear that the first taste test was positive! Can't wait until mine is big enough to fruit=)

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 2:39PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Adiel:

Based upon my first taste, I think it compares favorably with the mangoes you mention. Of course, none of those varieties are ready to eat yet....so there may be some early season mango over exhuberance which will have to be tempered after a full season of mango eating.

Harry

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 2:53PM
sleep(10a/b)

Thanks for the review Harry !

I have about 10 on my 2 year old tree... The tree growth has been excellent.

I've been watching them every day, and now the anticipation is going to kill me :)

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 5:08PM
swrancher

I'm really glad the Angie mango tasted so good, after trying "Jean Ellen" last year I was a little bit worried...My Angie tree has a decent amount of fruit on it, maybe 20-30 mangos. Some of them are fairly large and all are a pale green with no blush or coloration. I'm wondering how much longer until they ripen up, supposed to be an early one.

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 7:29PM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

Harry - it's worse than torture without a picture to wrap my lips around! lol.....congrats.....I still got a lot of green golf ball sized oddities on diff. trees teasing me every day in our spring winds....

mDOG

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 9:23PM
murahilin(10 fl)

Harry,
Due to your questionable tastes, I will have to sample this mango myself. When will another be available?

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 9:37PM
ohiojay(z6 OH)

Harry...you seem to be around Sheehan quite a bit. Are we sure he is not trying for a stand-up comedian gig?

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 7:01AM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Jay:

No....he's not trying out for a stand up comic gig.....he's just trying to show a little personality and over come the shyness he has. Eventually, he'll even post a picture of himself in the Tropical Fruit Forum Meet and Greet thread.

Harry

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 7:16AM
murahilin(10 fl)

Jay,
It's my fall back plan in case law school doesn't work out.

Harry,
I don't have a law firm to shamelessly plug so I won't be posting on the meet and greet.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 9:14AM
abayomi

Nice one Harry. Can you save some seed for me (any and all varieties accepted!). Be there in 2 weeks!

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 9:30PM
swrancher

Here's a few pictures taken 5/27 of my Angie Mango tree and fruit that I'm guessing/hoping? are almost ready.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 11:50AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

NICE looking mangoes!! Its a good looking tree too. Let us know when its ripe.

I'm waiting (not)very patiently for one of my Cogshall to fully ripen. I ate one of them that I picked a week or so ago but it was only partially ripe. The part that wasn't quite ripe was pretty sour, but the part that was ripe was really sweet and delicious!

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 3:46PM
marinfla(10 South Florida)

Harry will you be going to the USDA Chapman Field Open House next Saturday? I would love to plan a day to stop by for a tour of your yard!
Marin

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 4:46PM
emperorlychee(8)

would any body lend me some mango cuttings... im not picky so if you had any would you help my cause.
thankyou patricio

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 9:44AM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Marin:

Not sure of my plans...probably won't be going to Chapman, but feel free to stop by on your way to or from. Drop me an e-mail to let me know what your plans are.

Harry

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 11:14AM
tropicalgrower89(10b)

Thanks for giving us the head's up on Angie mango Harry! Southwest rancher, the mangoes look great!

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 1:01PM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

SWR - yes, the Angies look splendid......mangoyapper

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 2:07PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

That's a great looking tree swrancher! Let us know how they taste when they are ripe.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 9:31AM
kathypflugrad_yahoo_com

Our family's main priority this summer is to choose which two varieties of mango to plant (that's all we have room for) and get them planted. The Angie is one we're hoping to taste, and I'm not finding any available to buy, even at Fairchild farm. If anyone is willing to sell 1 or 2 Angie mangos, please let me know. We live in Fort Myers but will drive. We're headed to Boynton Beach area this weekend, and down to Homestead sometime soon.

If anyone has suggestions for mango varieties, we'd welcome those, too. Thanks in advance!

Kathy

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 9:53AM
mango_kush

Pickering is another new variety that is dwarf, every member on here who has sampled one if you search considers it an excellent flavored mango with a possible coconut undertone

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 12:46PM
sleep(10a/b)

I had my first Angie Mango today. I picked it off of my two year old tree a few days ago, and let it ripen on the kitchen counter.

I agree with Harry's review. I found it to be fantastic. Sweet and complex. Definately top tier in my book.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 9:10PM
Langra(9B Rockledge FL 32955)

Here's a picture of Angie mango that I bought at the 2014 mango festival at Fairchild.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angie Mango from Fairchild 2014

Bookmark   December 26, 2014 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™