Setting up grow room for Mango/Lychee in basement

alphapenguin(5)November 2, 2009

I currently have 3 mango saplings, one 3 gallon Mango and one 3 gallon Lychee from Pine Island and a Guava tree in my basement, which is next to some large windows in my basement which are also south facing. I did this last year (i didnt have the plants from pine island yet), and my plants were able to survive well enough for the summer to be put outside I live in ohio and we get some crappy winters. Anyway this year I wanted better supplemental light so I bought a 600W HPS/MH Grow light. I also purchased some mylar online and will be walling off the plants, but my question is:

Should I try to utilize the natural sunlight and also use the grow light as well? I would just wall off 3 sides and have one side open to the windows, or should I just forget about the natural light (i mean i did buy a 300$ ballast system). I was thinking by utilizing the sunlight as well, it would be cheaper on the electric bill, since i would run the light for shorter periods of time.

As for the humidity, i am not going to worry about that right now, since I do not want to cause a mold issue in my basement.

Any ideas? Maybe if I drew a picture of what I had in mind, it might better frame my question for you guys.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alphapenguin(5)

Here is a pic of my idea. no dimensions, but I am planning on a 6'by 6' area.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 8:32PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Lamp will likely throw off a lot of heat. Warm temps will encourage mites, so be warned. Yes, I would utilize existing windows for natural light. You might also be able to crack the windows to allow fresh air on milder days, as long as you are going to 'wall it off'. It might keep temps cooler too. You may want to eventually set up a small humidifier and a fan to circulate air.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 10:29AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Alpha, check out this link from the tropical fruits forum...might help you out a little? Good luck!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1114542120895.html?19

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread from the Tropical Fruits forum

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 12:10PM
tylerross10_hotmail_com

I know this is a fairly old post, but I'd like to add a bit of my knowledge.

I would suggest buying a Mylar enclosed grow room. IT helps trap heat, and keep bugs out.

It also allows you to monitor the exact temperature and humidity within your own container.

I also live in the snow and grow tropical plants that need approx 70� with 60-70% humidity. Without ruining the wood or walls in my house, or making my room smell like a butterfly house.

Also I went one step further and I use 2x quad band 90watt UFO lights, and 1 tri-band UFO in a tri-force configuration all piled into a 5'x5'x5' grow space. I got a pretty substantial harvest, and my power bill increased approx $30 a month.

You can pay the extra for the HID bulbs and my buddies swear by the increased watts that your harvest also increases. So it really depends on the $ ur willing to throw down and to what extent.

To me. Let's say 6 months to fruit.. If you have that setup you're probably looking at around 500-600 for a hydro, HID,

and depending on your light, you're probably looking at a couple hundred more in power.

Is what you're planting worth the investment?

Or if you went LED's, it dramatically drops the amount of power consumption and makes that level even more affordable.

Also with Led's since they use such a low power. @ some point in the future I want to set up a parallel 12v system tied to a Gear bike generator. So I go and workout in the morning and it powers my grow box. In which you could easily set up for another $200.

Enjoy, and any questions or schematics you may want just hit me up.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Have Tropical Hib. "Splash" cuttings to trade
Anyone have any named tropical hibiscus cuttings? I...
irish_rose_grower
HAVE: for trade
I have close to 2000 different kinds of tropicals for...
Angel_Hawk1975
Desert Rose leaf tips dying
I've had this desert rose (my favourite plant) for...
plantrookie
Albuca spiralis seeds
Hello! Does anyone know from where can I get Albuca...
xylocyb
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Sponsored Products
Westek Under Cabinet Lighting 120-Volt Xenon Bronze Accent Light Kit Metallic
$14.65 | Home Depot
Westek Under Cabinet Lighting 24.21 in. Flourescent Nickel Slim Line 14-Watt
$16.49 | Home Depot
SIS Covers Dream Catcher Duvet Set - DRCA-XDUCK6
$149.00 | Hayneedle
Fanimation MultiMax 52 In. Indoor Ceiling Fan - FP8008CH
$419.95 | Hayneedle
Philips | I Beam 2 Light Bath Sconce
$192.00 | YLighting
Outdoor Ceiling Fans and Light: Hunter Sea Air 52 in. Indoor/Outdoor White Ceili
Home Depot
Soho Polished Chrome Three-Light Vanity Fixture w/Satin White Glass
$139.99 | Bellacor
Crosley 3-Piece Pub Dining Set with Tapered Leg and Upholstered Saddle Stools -
$239.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™