Avocado problems

slowjane CA/ Sunset 21May 16, 2014

Hi all - the folks in the veggie forum said this is where the avocado experts hang out so here I am with my newbie Avocado question ;)

We have grown this avocado from a seed (I know it won't taste the same, etc but it's a fun project to see it grow) It's maybe two years old, a single stem, and about 3 1/2 feet tall.

It's had brown edges on the leaves for a while due to salt burn according to an arborist who came to the house. But are the brown spots salt burn as well? I've googled but so far it's been inconclusive. Anyone know?

It's in a pot - I just repotted from a 10" to a 12" pot, with palm/citrus/succulent potting mix.

I flushed it with 4 gallons of water or so. More flushing? Fertilizer? I haven't fertilized it yet. Would fish emulsion be a good Nitrogen source for it?

Any help is much appreciated!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

slow...you may have a couple of problems. Firstly, when growing in containers there are some very important factors. 1. use a free draining potting mix (no moisture control stuff to create muck. 2. Make sure the container is large enough. 3. Watering regularly is critical. Also, persea mites can cause tan/silverfish spotting on the underside of leaves. They usually run along the vein line. You definitely have the soil moisture/watering issue.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 10:09AM
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21

Thanks fireduck - yes, it was in a smaller container before and would dry out all the time (bad bad mama) but I think the bigger container is helping, and I did use cactus/palm/citrus potting mix which is supposed to drain well.

However, the very tips of the newer leaves are still brown. The soil feels cool and moist under the mulch....hmmm...
I potted it up from a 12 to a 14 or so - my understanding is you should usually pot up gradually to larger sizes rather than going to a giant pot right away. I know avocado trees get huge....

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 5:21PM
fireduck(10a)

the brown edges on those leaves will never re-green. No bigee. Keep it fed with low-dose fertilizer...and don't let it get root-bound.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
soursop tree
Hello, we have some young soursop trees and they have...
cee8
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™